Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

H. I clench my teeth at night. In order to prevent more

Customer Question
Hi, I clench my...

Hi, I clench my teeth at night. In order to prevent more broken teeth I bought a plastic mouth guard. The problem is I have a serious over bight and in the morning my jaw feels sort of out - of - allignment. Can this hurt me?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

No, but my jaw feels funny and achy in the morning. It does go away during the day.

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

OK, what else do you need?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dental
3/16/2018
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 5 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! I'd be happy to help you with your question.

In short, yes. A nightguard that is not correctly balanced for your specific bite can cause pain or damage to your jaw joints if you have an at-risk joint. With a serious overbite, it is likely that you have an at-risk joint. Many plastic over-the-counter nightguards actually stimulate more clenching and grinding. In order to protect your jaw joint, you should not wear this type of nightguard anymore.

In order to protect your teeth from breaking, you should see your dentist to have a professional hard nightguard made that will balance your bite and help keep your jaw joints in the correct position.

Does that make sense?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara