Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have an impacted wisdom tooth on lower left (#17) that…

I have an impacted wisdom...
I have an impacted wisdom tooth on lower left (#17) that affected the second molar adjacent to it (#18), as seen in the attached xray picture. I was told that the wisdom tooth is still good.
Is it possible to have a tooth transplantation with #17 replacing #18 ?
Thank you,
3/16/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi Dan,

Great Xray!!

The short answer is yes. However, the problem is that there may not be enough adequate bone left to properly support the transplanted tooth. #17 would be an easy removal because of the angle of the tooth and the straight roots but the bone support on the distal (back) of #18 is very low and you may end up having a periodontal defect after the transplant.

I would discuss this with an oral surgeon to see if it is feasible and what the chances of success would be.

Does this make sense to you?

Can bone support improve after removal of #18 ?
Also, assuming transplantation is not possible: does it make sense to remove only #18 but not the wisdom tooth?

The bone level will not increase after the removal of #18.

Once lost, the alveolar bone does not increase in height ever again.

You can always leave #18 in until it gives you trouble which it will if it keeps increasing its angle in the jaw.

It could even stay in that position and never tip any further. The OS will try to talk you into removing it at the same time as #18 but there is no immediate rush to do it because it can always be removed if needed in the future. :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Thank you

You are very welcome!!

Good luck and have a nice weekend!! :):)