Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Is there any way to know if I've caused permanent damage to…

Customer Question
Is there any way...

Is there any way to know if I've caused permanent damage to my teeth, tooth. It's loose and causing a lot of pain

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

My husband passed a war almost 5 weeks ago, it started then and I can't bite hard enough to create a good enough indentation to use a nightmare I bought

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I've used oragel and oragel mouthwash which is short and temporary. Nothing seems to help and I notice that when it hurts least I can bite down somewhat but notice my teeth have shifted and the bite isn't the same

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dental
3/15/2018
Dentist: Drew Moore DDS MS, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 month ago
Drew Moore DDS MS
Drew Moore DDS MS, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Give me e moment while I read.

Hi. I'm Dr. Moore, a board certified periodontist. It sounds like you have an infection in the tooth. It is most likely an infection of the nerve of the tooth, which will require a root canal. There might also be some periodontal damage, which could be contributing to the looseness. You should go to see an endodontist, which is a root canal specialist. If he or she doesn't think the tooth needs a root canal, then you should go see a periodontist and determine if there is bone loss causing the looseness.

The shifting can be caused by the fluids form a tooth infection and the inflammation that goes with that. Also, if there is periodontal (gum and bone) involvement, then that could cause the shifting.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I know that is devastating. I'd go see an endodontist as soon as possible. Meanwhile, cut all your food and eat on your side teeth. Don't try to bite into things. Perhaps take some ibuprofen to help with the pain and inflammation. But, that and anything like ora-gel will only mask the problem. If there is an infection, you want it cleared up soon. Otherwise there will be more bone destruction and you might lose the tooth. Other teeth might also be in jeopardy.

Is there anything else that I may address for you?

Drew Moore DDS MS
Drew Moore DDS MS