Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Over the past few years, my incisive papilla has been

Hi, so over the...

Hi, so over the past few years, my incisive papilla has been slightly detached from the rear of my incisors. This had caused me to have infrequent swelling and pain (maybe from food getting stuck?). Recently, my bonded retainer broke and was removed by my orthodontist, to correct a slight gap between my incisors he gave me some rubber bands to correct the gap before they put in a new retainer. It appears that the pressure of the teeth coming together has caused the incisive papilla to detach even more (hanging down, can move it with my tongue). I'm wondering what can be done?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

A few years, since the swelling occurs infrequently, I have never had the need to seek out help /advice. Flossing and a mouth wash rinse usually clears up the swelling and pain within a few days. It also wasn't as noticeable when I had my bonded retainer in.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I had braces a few years ago and the orthodontist thought it a good idea to have a fernectomy performed. No injuries to the mouth. No alcohol or tobacco use.

3/15/2018
Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi-- happy to try and help you today! This sounds like a frustrating problem to have... and, of course, there are no easy solutions.

I have had patients with similar issues in other areas of the mouth have their papillas "reattached"... I would see a periodontist for a consultation. The general idea is to have in papilla from the lingual aspect reattach to the lip side tissue.... this can be attempted by removing some of the outer layer and then suturing the 2 sides together tight enough so they heal together. I have seen it work several times!

Please let me know if you have any other questions...I'm here to help! Otherwise, please rate my response so I can move on to other patients!

Dr Matthew Kremser
Awesome, I'm going to do just that. Thanks. I'm just happy to hear others have had this issue because I wasn't having luck finding information about similar cases.