Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Does wisdom teeth cause oral cancer if untreated? The area…

Does wisdom teeth cause oral...
Does wisdom teeth cause oral cancer if untreated? The area near wisdom teeth have been uncomfortable since last December. Can it develop cancer between wisdom teeth and gum?
3/15/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Wisdom teeth irritation and issues with wisdom teeth do not cause cancer?Eventually when the pain and swelling becomes severe enough,you will have the wisdom teeth removed and you will be more comfortable.Most of the time ,people between the ages of 17 and 25,if they have partially erupted wisdom teeth,will have them removed because of the pain and swelling but cancer is not caused by untreated wisdom teeth.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for the late reply doctor. I mean if wisdom teeth cause chronic infection, isn’t it a risk factor for oral cancer?

No it is not. Chronic infections can lead to systemic infections which can kill you . But the cause of your death will not be cancer.

It will be infection. There is a difference.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I heard stories that people die of wisdom teeth related infections and miscarriage etc. But medically it was never considered to be a risk factor for oral cancer?

No it is not considered to be a risk factor for oral cancer. People can have habits like drinking straight alcohol and smoking and can get oral cancer by doing this. These same people may have infected teeth.You cannot say though that the infected teeth caused cancer. We can document though that people that have these type of habits are more likely to get cancer whether they have a tooth infection or not. Don't confuse bacteria with cancer cells. They are two totally different organisms.Don't believe all of the stories that you hear. Most of them are untrue.

You can die of an infection. That is not the same as cancer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I never smoke or drink. So wisdom teeth alone won’t give me cancer. Is that correct?

That is correct.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the discomfort it gives me won’t give me cancer?

No

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All right. I will get rid of them anyway.

It will give you pain..though if you have an infection.

All wisdom teeth do not need to be extracted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will consult a surgeon about it

All that is need is an X-ray and and exam. There is no need to worry about cancer though.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. Thanks!

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Please leave a rating

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)