Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had root canal treatment on a molar approximately 2 years…

I had root canal treatment...
I had root canal treatment on a molar approximately 2 years ago. The dentist could only access one of the root canals and said in the future I might have to go for more specialist treatment to have the other canals dealt with. The infection I had was at the base of the treatable canal and have had no pain since. I suffer from bruxism and wear a mouth splint at night so occasionally it does niggle when I’ve been extra stressed. About 6/7 weeks ago I noticed an ulcer on the gum just below the tooth in question but put it down to burning the gum with hot food which I remember doing. I went to the dentist today as it’s not healing and he said the gum problem was caused by the tooth and I’d need to go to an orthodontist to have the remaining canals dealt with if I didn’t want to have an extraction. I’m not in pain but it feels tender and I’m aware of the “ulcer” when I yawn.
Is there anything else I can do to heal the gum and avoid root canal treatment again or is that the only way I can save my tooth?
Is it an abscess or an ulcer? What exactly is causing the gum problem?
Thank you
Linda.
3/13/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Can you upload a picture of the area? An ulcer is one thing but a fistula that is draining infection is something completely different. The original dentist needed to have you see an endodontist as soon as he realized that he could not complete the root canal. In the US we call this negligence.You need to see an endodontist not an orthodontist and if the tooth cannot be saved,it will need to be extracted.I need to see a picture or X-ray of the area to give you an accurate diagnosis.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m afraid I haven’t access to the X Ray that was taken. With the National Health Service in Britain we are not given dental X rays or any other X Ray. I am assuming that because 2 years ago the dentist at the time was only able to deal with one of the root canals, this gum problem has arisen? I was told at the time I would need to see a dental specialist to deal with the other canals but I decided to see how I went as my main concern was avoiding toothache. The infection at the time had been dealt with and have had no pain since from the molar. I take ubiquinol (Q10) for overall gum health and have never had any problems with gums apart from slight bleeding in the past which doesn’t happen now since the ubiquinol and use of a sonic air flosser.
I just wanted to know if it’s a fairly common occurrence after incomplete root canal treatment. I’m due for my check up in June so I was going to leave it till then. I don’t want to lose the tooth by extraction especially as it’s not hurting and it would be a shame after all the work that was done on it 2 years ago. It was my first root canal treatment and I found it a very stressful experience!
Will the fistula get worse or will it stay the same? Is it an actual “infection” and would I need antibiotics? If I have the root canal treatment done does that mean the gum problem will eventually disappear?
I use a non flavoured alcohol free mouthwash twice a day and both manual and electric brushes.
Sorry I can’t help with the X Ray.
Many thanks
***** *****iwell.

The fistula is just a drain for the abscess. The abscess is an infection that cannot be cured by the antibiotic .If the root canal was done improperly the infection will remain.Mouthwash won't help to cure the abscess . It is coming from the incomplete root canal.The longer the tooth stays ,the worse the infection becomes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou for clarifying that. So basically I have developed an abscess which has caused the fistula gum problem.
Would you recommend the specialist root canal treatment to deal with problem? I assume if it’s too problematic to deal with I will have to go for an extraction?

I would get a consult with a good endodontist first.

Your gum is not the problem. The tooth is the problem because the canals were not cleaned and filled. That is what caused the abscess. The abscess is just draining through your gum but that does not mean that you have a gum problem. You have a tooth problem.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.
I will take your advice.

You are welcome. Good luck

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)