Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Last and question. My retainer fits a little tight, is me…

Customer Question
Last and question. My retainer...
Last and question. My retainer fits a little tight, is me wearing my retainer causing more damage to my jaw?? Does my retainer put strain on my jaw, if my teeth are shifting into my retainer? My teeth haven’t shifted noticeable what so ever. But I notice a slight shift. Will my retainer straighting out my teeth a bit cause more damage to my jaw?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 4 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

So you have a retainer from wearing braces then?

I’m also a male
Does that change everything
Is having braces and using that product even worse?

If your retainer still fits, indeed wear it. If it doesn't fit right, go see your Orthodontist/Dentist who made your retainer and they can adjust it for you, if too tight/if it hurts your teeth.

Nothing else changes.

me wearing my retainer wont effect my jaw. like does my tight retainer put more strain on jaw. Im scared that because my retainer is tight my jaw is going to get bigger

I think you'll be fine wearing it as is, but if any concerns, I'd see your Dental personnel who made it, and they can easily adjust it for you to make it less tight if needed to be so.

Dr. Rampton

Will it cause my jaw to grow or damage my jaw more?

I'd highly suggest seeing your preferred Dental team, they can fix any need you should have.

Nothing hurts and The retainer pops in place. But knowing my current situation do you think it will add growth to my jaw? It fits ok place. And doesn’t hurt.

I think the very best person to deal with this for you is to go to the Dental personnel who made the retainer. They can easily make everything "right"!

My retainer fits well so I don’t think I need to see the ortho.
But my question is it somehow possible for my retainer to cause my jaw to keep growing. I’ve been wearing it every night and my jaw has been shrinking. So I don’t think it’s possible. But can my retainer somehow be harmful for my jaw? It fits and feels right, I’m just asking because I want to prevent anything from preventing my jaw from healing. So could me wearing this retainer somehow play a factor in that. I almost positive I’m fine. Besides never doing that exercise again, is there anything else I should be avoiding?

Again, while I seriously doubt so, I'd suggest going to your Doctor who made the retainer, as they can best assess if a simple adjustment to your retainer is needed or not. That's what I would recommend!

By my retainer isn’t harmful to my jaw,
Correct?
Since my muscles aren’t being touched they are definitely shrinking. Right?

True, a retainer is NOT made to be harmful to one's jaw.

And if your muscle/s got puffed up, yes they would shrink back.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen more shrinkage in my jaw. But, if the exercises I used to do slightly shifted my teeth, but my retainer still fits...
And my retainer is shifting my teeth back to normal. Is the retainer slightly shifting my teeth back causing my jaw more harm/damage/growth??I just want to be 1000 percent positive Im not making my jaw worse with the usage of my retainer at night.

I honestly think you'll be fine using your retainer!

But it would be "best" to visit the Orthodontist of Dentist who made your retainer, or if not available, to visit another new Orthodontist or Dentist. OK?

That would be the BEST thing to do.