Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Had a root canal on tooth 13 a week ago. Been having bad gum…

Had a root canal...

Had a root canal on tooth 13 a week ago. Been having bad gum and roof of mouth pain that seems to be at its worst today. Feels like I ate something too hot and burned the roof of my mouth on that side back to my throat. I was taking amoxicillin before the root canal and a few days after, but found out I am allergic to penicillin so I’m not taking an antibiotic anymore. Looking inside my mouth I noticed that inside around that tooth seems to be swollen and almost pink in color.

Doctor's Assistant: Has the pain been stable or getting worse? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

It’s been fairly stable over the last few days. Maybe slightly worst today. Feels like a combination of gum/roof of mouth pain and a sore throat. I had a root canal on tooth 5 about a month ago and experienced similar pain but it went away about 4-5 days after my treatment. This is the first issue with this tooth. I was using Rincol for my gums for about 4-5 days after and today was using some salt water. It seems to be pretty sensitive to certain foods. The pain gets worst when I use the salt water, I had lemon today and that aggravated it too.

Doctor's Assistant: What dosage of the antibiotic are you using?

I’m not on an antibiotic anymore. I was supposed to be taking amoxicillin 3 Times per day for 2 weeks but found out I’m allergic so not using anymore per my dermatologist

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure if this will help or not but I took this picture of the area I had work done and you can see the different color around the tooth. Not sure if that’s normal or something to be concerned with.
3/13/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there. I’d be happy to help you figure out what’s going on with your gums. Thank you for attaching a great photo. I can see that the gums around the twos are very swollen and inflamed. I understand that you stopped taking the antibiotics because you were allergic to them. It does look like there is a possible gum infection going on. I recommend that you call your dentist and ask for a different antibiotic prescription that does not contain penicillin. This will help your body heal over the gum infection more quickly. In the meantime, you can do a very gentle mouth rinse with Peroxyl, a Colgate brand mouthrinsr made specifically for gum sores.

What other questions can I answer for you?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)