Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have an inflammation in my mouth right under the tip of my…

Customer Question
I have an inflammation...

I have an inflammation in my mouth right under the tip of my tongue, that came today after I drank a mimosa. I had some oranges later and it seemed to irritate it more. What is this? It's very annoying

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

No tooth pain, but I have a pain that seems associated with it that is under the back right side of my mouth. It's like where my glands are are where I swallow. When I press on that, the pain is linked to that that is under the tip of my tongue.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

No Don't smoke or dip tobocco

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dental
Here is a pic of the inflammation under my tongue
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 5 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
HI, there! I’d be happy to help you figure out what is going on underneath your tongue. Did you notice this at all before you had any orange flavor? Orange is highly acidic, and can cause some irritation of the tissues in your mouth. Is there any chance you injured that area of your mouth? For instance, by hitting it with either a foreign object or some sharp food pieces like chips or crackers.
Sincerely,
Dr. Lata
No didn't injure it, and this has happened before, but it usually goes right away. Today it has remained since this afternoon.

Good morning! I am so sorry for the delay in my response.

The tissue on the floor of our mouths under the tongue is full of blood vessels and covered by a very thin layer of tissue. Your photo looks like there was some type of irritation (like allergic reaction) or injury which caused a localized inflammation. As long as the thin tissue covering the area is intact, there is no risk of infection, and it will heal on its own.

How does it look and feel this morning?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara