Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I recently went to a dentist I found through 1800dentist,

I recently went to...

I recently went to a dentist I found through 1800dentist, specifically because they said the could provide Valplast Flexible Partial Dentures. I called them and asked if they could do Valplast and they said yes. I went through all mold taking, two wax try ins. Two months later they deliver them and they aren’t Valplast! They cost me more than $2,000.00 and they aren’t what I asked for after I specifically made sure they understood (I thought) that I wanted Valplast. What can I do about this? The ones they sold me are Duraflex and I hate them. They aren’t flexible and the hurt.

Doctor's Assistant: When was their last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?

Today

Doctor's Assistant: Can they see or feel anything else in their mouth that is causing concern?

Did you read my first entry?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in their medical history you think the dentist should know?

There’s nothing wrong with the teeth I have left. I’m asking about what my recourse is when I’m sold something by a dentist that isn’t what I asked for.

3/13/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

You are not going to like what I am going to tell you but Flexible dentures are one of the worst type of dentures that you can put in your mouth. Think of it this way.Do your teeth move when you chew your food?They do not.They are firmly fixed in bone.The reason for this is that the chewing forces are distributed directly into the bone. With Valplast or any flexible denture,the denture squishes out of the way and collapses under the pressure casein gum recession and bone loss.Unless the denture is solid,whether a partial denture or full denture,you are going to destroy the bone after time by unsupported pressure from chewing.

My suggestion is that you have a well made partial denture that is solid and has supports placed on solid teeth.This type of denture can be custom made and last you for years to come without any destruction of the bone. Flexible dentures were made as a gimmick and are sold just to make money without any regard for your health.If you contracted for Valplast and got Duraflex,you should just ask for your money back.

1800 dentist is just an advertising firm used by inexperienced dentists to get new patients. Your best referral for a good dentist would be through friends or family that have been to one.

Flexible dentures can be used for aesthetics but functionally they allow the collapse of your vertical dimension which eventually allows increased pressure on your natural teeth causing shifting of the natural teeth and problems with the temporomandibular joint. If you are using them for looks ,they can be useful ,but if the flexible denture is not supported properly,you can expect, constant repairs from teeth falling off and pains in the TMJ.These dentures are also hard to add teeth to and difficult to adjust.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Thanks for the candor. Why wouldn’t the dentist explain this to me when I went in? They are listed as one of the best in my city.

They look good but do not last.A custom made partial is the same price.They dentists make these because they make a lot of profit on them and there is no thought or preparation behind them. The lab does everything and they don't care if they are harmful or not.They have their uses for cosmetics but by the time that you found out that your bite has collapsed,they can blame it on something else.