Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have temporary crowns on both sides of my bottom jaw

I have temporary crowns...

I have temporary crowns on both sides of my bottom jaw (second tooth from the very back on both sides). I have very little cold/hot sensitivity (just when it is extreme and it goes away immediately after) but when I chew food it hurts both sides. My left side is worse, When I try to floss between the crowned tooth and the tooth in front of it, it feels like cavity pain. My right side feels okay unless I bite into something that with any resistance (tough meat, pickles on a hamburger, pizza crust, etc). I had my bite checked with my dentist and that is not the problem. They gave me some sensitive toothpaste but it doesn't seem to be helping. Am I destined for a root canal or is it possible that my temporaries are not seated as comfortably as my permanent ones will be?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No ma'am

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

No ma'am

3/12/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Temporary crowns can be a pain. The biggest problem is that they are not sealed well and there is usually some margin exposed. The other big problem is the bite and many dentists do not take the time to adjust the bite correctly.

Signs of teeth needing root canal therapy are pain to heat,not cold,pain to biting pressure and constant pain that does not let up.

It is a traumatic thing to have a crown prepped especially if the dentist does not have experience. The heat of the drill can sometimes cause a pulpits.Most of these pulpits issues are reversible. When they are not,root canal therapy is necessary.

Can signs of needing a root canal be seen on an xray? Do most dentists xray the tooth before placing the permanent crowns?

If the tooth had a large filling in it before,the chances of pulpits are a little greater. Your symptoms right now seem like a normal kind of sensitivity.I would just not have the crowns cemented permanently if you are still having a lot of sensitivity. It takes weeks sometimes for an irreversible pulpits to show up on X-ray.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your advice.

It is not normal procedure to X-ray the tooth just prior to cementing the crowns. Have the crowns cemented temporarily and see if the sensitivity stops. If it does,you can go back anytime to have them cemented permanently .

You are welcome.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)