Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

The palette of my mouth is sore only behind the two front…

The palette of my...

The palette of my mouth is sore only behind the two front teeth. I feel the skin is peeling only in the one spot between the two front teeth

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

For a week and a half. My nail on my index finger has been turning black for no reason

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have Multiple Sclerosis and I take a lot of medication

3/12/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! I'd be happy to help you figure out what is going on with the gums on the roof of your mouth. Would you mind answering a few questions for me?

1. How long have the gums been sore and peeling in this area?

2. Do the gums bleed in this area?

3. When you bite your teeth together, do the bottom teeth touch the gums in this area?

4. Have you been suffering from allergies or a cold or anything else that would force you to breathe through your mouth?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1. It's been sore for a week and a half, the skin feels like I can lift it with my tongue.
2.No the gums are bleeding.
3.The teeth do touch.
4. I'm coughing.

Okay, thank you for answering all of those questions. The most likely cause of this gum tenderness and peeling is friction from the lower teeth touching the gums there. This will be aggravated when you clench your teeth at night.

One way to remove the irritation would be to wear a nightguard to separate the teeth at night. The very best option is a nightguard made by your dentist. However, an over-the-counter one may do enough separation to give your gums time to heal from the irritation.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you answered my question and gave me a solution!

Great! Please let me know if you have any other questions for me!

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)