Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a dull toothache that comes and goes. What could this…

I have a dull...

I have a dull toothache that comes and goes. What could this be?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the pain consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Fluctuate

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Ive had this before and they told me it was gingivitis but im worried it might be a abscess even though the tooth that hurts doesnt look like its got a cavity

3/12/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Dull pains are normally a sign of gum problems. If you have swelling and can put your finger on a particular tooth that hurts,it is possible that the tooth is infected.Do you have missing teeth that have not been replaced? Do you have any swelling?

To be able to give you an accurate diagnosis,I would need to see an X-ray of your mouth. If you have not been to a dentist for a while,now would be a good time to go and have an exam and X-ray. Once you get the X-ray,I would be able to give you some more accurate information.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No swelling. And my gum hurts a little but it doesn't hurt when I push on my teeth.

Do you have missing teeth that have not been replaced? When was the last time that your teeth were cleaned?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What's the chance that it could be a abscess?

If you have no swelling and there is no decay or filling in the tooth,it is unlikely that the tooth is abscessed? Do you have missing teeth that have not been replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
beside where the pain is
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had 2 teeth pulled on top. But this was about 3 years ago

Pain from teeth adjacent to spaces where teeth used to be is many times caused by your bite being off. When you lose a tooth and do not replace them,the teeth will drift causing strain on the ligaments of the adjacent teeth causing toothache like pain. This can be taken care of quickly with a bite adjustment but it will return if the teeth are not replaced.

It takes time for teeth to drift but when they do,it causes all kinds of bite problems and pain.Teeth are like dominos.They will continue to drift out of the sockets until they contact something to stop them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pain come on suddenly. It has not increased much though. That's one thing I'm worried about

It has to do with biting ,chewing and grinding.I cannot be more specific without seeing your X-ray.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its not sharp. Its a dull pain and every now and then it will stop for a few seconds and then start right back

If you have no swelling,you are not in an emergency situation.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

I need to see your X-ray to give you an accurate diagnosis.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

I would be glad to review your X-rays with you when you get them. You can upload them on this same thread

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)