Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have both amoxicillin and penicillin which do I take for a…

I have both amoxicillin...

I have both amoxicillin and penicillin which do I take for a tooth ache infection

Doctor's Assistant: Has the toothache been stable or getting worse? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

Worse but staple now

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about the toothache? How long have you been dealing with this?

Yea I have minor infection but so bad since it’s my nerve is exposed it really hurts

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

No healthy other than some bad tooth decay Another question

which should I take
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Also I have ibuprofen800mg and acetaminophen cod #3
3/12/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Either 500 mg of penicillin every six hours or 500 mg of amoxicillin every 8 hours are both good for tooth infections. It will take about 48 hours before you will begin to see any results.Taking 600 mg of ibuprofen and alternating that with 1000 mg of tylenol every four hours should help with the pain if you have no narcotic prescription.Remeber that the antibiotic will not cure a tooth infection.If the tooth is infected,it either needs to be extracted or root canal therapy is required.

I took that cod#3 around 5pm is safe to take ibuprofen 800mg for minor pain in my tooth

If you are still having pain , give it another hour before taking 600 mg of ibuprofen.The codeine has really not had enough time to start working yet.

Do you have any swelling?

No swelling just a real bad tooth bad yesterday tooth some cod and today it’s just minor toothache also took penicillin go 500 yesterday
It’s 2:37 am right now
Just a real bad tooth ache **
Penicillin vk*

The penicillin has not had time enough to work. It is 5;38 here so I just thought that you took the codeine 30 minutes ago.Penicillin vk is the drug of choice.You can certainly take the ibuprofen if it was that long ago that you took the codeine.

Yea I took penicillin and cod around 5pm and now it’s 2:41 am but I heard cod is very bad and addictive

In four hours take another codeine if you need to while the penicillin gets up to a high enough level in your bloodstream.I would try to get to a dentist today if possible to either have the tooth opened or extracted.

We are always worried about addiction but that happens only with prolonged use extending a week or more.For pain relief for a short time,you do not have to worry.

I have a dentist appt to check my gums today for a segical tooth implant

I would have the tooth root canaled or extracted. The implant should not be placed at the same time the tooth is extracted.You are asking for trouble if they try to push that.

Yea it’s just a consult becuz I don’t have money for the implant right now

If the tooth needs to be extracted,wait until the area heals before considering an implant.

Single tooth implants cost over $2000 and the crown and parts needed to restore them cost another $2000.If you have teeth on either side of the space,they should also give you the option of a permanent bridge.

Can I do ibuprofen 800mg instead of cod? Will it work the same

If the ibuprofen works,just alternate that with 1000 mg of regular tylenol every four hours and forget the codeine .

Alternate that??
Also do I keep taking the penicillin

Yes alternate 800 mg of ibuprofen with 1000 mg of tylenol every four hours.Take the ibuprofen,wait four hours and then take 1000 mg of tylenol.And keep taking the penicillin around the clock every six hours.

I only have 800 ibuprofen

You can break it in half.400 mg is really the dose that you need anyway. Studies have shown that 400 mg of ibuprofen are just as effective as 800 mg.

Also I smoke cannibas will that interfere with the pain medicines ?

No it may help with the pain though.

Thank u brodi

You are welcome. I hope that you feel better soon.

Ima take my penicillin right now cuz I’m sure it’s been 6hours but I don’t feel much pain should I still take ibuprofen or no?

If you have no pain,there is no reason to take the pain medicine.

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Sorry for all these questions thanks so much

NO problem.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)