Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I prefer to wait for Dr Lara Coseo!!! Well, it's been a

I prefer to wait for...
I prefer to wait for Dr Lara Coseo!!!Well, it's been a couple of months since the tooth nightmare which you helped me with. I was sure I'd have to have some follow up work done, but the pain has pretty much disappeared. I say pretty much because on some occasions (i.e. flying) some of the pain comes back. I noticed it a couple weeks ago after flying, though in another tooth a couple teeth down. I have had sensitivity in that tooth off and on over a few years. It remains mildly and intermittently sensitive, as does one of the three teeth I had troubles with during my last issue. I am wondering if I should see a dentist proactively. I am hesitant to because the last guy was ready to give me a double root canal and I don't want to do that if I don't have to, much less risk losing my crowns.Can you give me an idea of what might be causing the sensitivity problems and what kind of dentist I should see, if any? Is now the right time, or should I wait until the problem is actually in play?Thanks for your continued support.Julie
3/11/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, Julie! I’m glad to hear that things are better. If you are concerned about some intermittent sensitivity, the best dentist to see would be an endodontist (root canal specialist). An endodontist has pretty sophisticated means of testing the health of the nerve inside the tooth to determine whether it is healthy or irreversibly damaged (and therefore in need of a root canal). Since there are multiple teeth in question, and you feel it only mildly and intermittently, I do not think you need treatment at this time. The most likely cause of the sensitivity is some root exposure caused by gum recession. One way to “test” this theory is to go to the store and buy some Crest Sensi-Stop strips. These strips contain a great desensitizer, which fills in the tiny pores in the root surface which allow you to feel the cold more sensitively. You have to wear them for 10 minutes over the sensitive areas each day for 3 days. If this makes a huge difference in your sensitivity, then we can diagnose hypersensitivity of the nerve, which does NOT require any further treatment.

If it does not make a huge difference, then you could move forward with seeing an endodontist for testing of the sensitive teeth.

Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

P.S. Thanks for requesting me!

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr. Lara,
Thank you so much for your time once again. I would not even consider not requesting you because YOU ROCK!I will try the test strips and see what happens. My mouth is full of crowns, many of which are decades old. Itmakes sense that there's been a lot of receeding. I sense that's what's up with the tooth that was not an issue during my last event.I appreciate your timely response! Enjoy the rest of the day.

You, too, Julie! I am happy to help!

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)