Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My tooth on the gum line is bleeding and it won't stop when…

Hey behind my tooth on...
Hey behind my tooth on the gum line is bleeding and it won't stop when I wash out my mouth there is blood that comes with it do you think that is a bad sign.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good morning! I’d be happy to help you with your question about your gums bleeding. Do you think you could get a photo of the area that is bleeding so I can see what’s going on?

There is a small paper clip icon you can use to attach a photo to your message.

Which tooth is the bleeding coming from? Does it seem to be coming from the gums right against the tooth? Or from an area not directly against one of your teeth?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is right behind my tooth and when I push on it bleeds. I am a drinker.

Is it a bump on your gums that is bleeding?

Are there any large cavities or problems on the tooth?

Do you think you could get a photo?

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a little bump and it is hard to get a photo.

Okay. Most likely, you have an infection coming from the tooth that is “draining” through the bump in the gums. This is a dangerous situation, and you should see a dentist ASAP.

Can you see any problems with the tooth itself?

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think that could lead to gingvities is that is why when I open up mouth I get nauseous.

Yes, tooth infections definitely lead to gingivitis. Most likely, it is the infection making you nauseous. When was the last time you had a dental checkup?

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not had one in a long time.

Okay, the most likely cause of your gums bleeding is an abscess end (or infected) tooth. Because those infections can spread, it’s important for you to see a dentist ASAP. You may need to have the tooth extracted if the tooth does not have a good prognosis for success with a root canal. When a tooth is infected, the only two treatment options are a root canal to keep the tooth in your mouth, or the extraction to get rid of the tooth.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can it spread to my insides or just the mouth itself.

Yes, it can spread to other areas of your body, so it is VERY important to see a dentist. If you can’t get in with a dentist today or tomorrow, go to urgent care so that you can start a prescription of antibiotics ASAP.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it can kill me.

Yes, in rare cases, people have died from tooth abscesses which spread into the brain or the bloodstream.

In MOST cases, this does not happen. But there is always the rare chance that it could, so you need to take care of it as soon as possible.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh wow so if I get it taken care by an urgent care facility it can stop it. Do you think this from all the drinking I have done.

The urgent care won’t be able to treat the tooth itself. Your ill have to see a dentist for the treatment. However, the urgent care could give you a prescription for antibiotics so that the infection has less chance to spread while you are seeking the dental treatment. Does that make sense?

No, usually tooth infections are not directly related to drinking alcohol. However, if your drinking has caused you to neglect caring for your teeth, it could be indirectly related.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Are there any other questions I can answer for you?

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there anyway I can do this at home because I don't have insurance right now because I lost my job.
There’s not much you can do if it really is a tooth abscess. You would need to have dental treatment to remove the source of the infection. The antibiotics just keep it from spreading while you are getting set up for the dental treatment. I understand that it can be expensive, but it’s important to do something. There are charity dental clinics in most large cities where you can have a tooth pulled at low cost of even free.
Do you have any other questions for me?
Dr. Lara
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)