Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I’ve been prescribed oxicodon for my tooth ache pain and had…

Hello I’ve been prescribed...

Hello I’ve been prescribed oxicodon for my tooth ache pain and had a shot of liqueur about 2 hours later. Should I be worried about side effects for this?

Doctor's Assistant: Has the toothache been stable or getting worse? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

First time this ever happened

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about the toothache? How long have you been dealing with this?

About a week now I was prescribed the pills

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Nope just don’t know how safe one shot was

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

You would have seen the results of the combined effects of alcohol and the opioid by now. A better option would be to alternate the oxycodone with 600 mg of ibuprofen every four hours. If you have not been placed on an antibiotic,you should have been because ultimately toothaches are caused by infection.If you can get the infection under control prior to getting treatment you will have less pain.The effects of the antibiotic will not be seen for about 48 hours.

Tooth was already removed I do have ibuprofen as well but I didn’t take it yesterday. I was more worried about the mixing of the alcohol and opioid but thank you for the answer!

It is not a good idea to mix them because the effects are unpredictable. but combining an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen helps a lot.

How long ago was the tooth removed? Do you have any swelling?

No swelling it was two days since the actual removal now and I’ve been dealing with little pain as long as I take my ibuprofen and oxicodon in 8 hour intervals (as I was prescribed)

If the pain is reducing in intensity,that is normal.If it is persisting,sometime the blood clot falls out of the socket and the pain is really annoying. If the pain is not intense,it is normal to have some discomfort for the first 3 or 4 days.

If you have no further questions,please leave a rating. We get no credit for our time without one . Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)