Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

About 17 days ago I had a lower molar removed. The tooth was…

About 17 days ago...

About 17 days ago I had a lower molar removed. The tooth was hard to get out due to curved roots. Im sure I did have a dry socket. It hurt and was gray looking. My problem is now there is a sac or growth coming out of the hole. It really doesn't hurt a lot but it bleeds a lot and the hole is filled with the growth. What could this be?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

Ya its swollen. My last visit was the day of the extraction. I really haven't felt well either.

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

My ear, jaw,side of my head hurt. My heart has been loud pounding. Pain in my temples. The dentists had to cut tooth in half and pushed down really hard for quite awhile. I do have tmj so I was very sore after. The dental assistant told me I really didn't bleed a whole lot. After I think it bleed normally. I wasn't to concerned because the pain isn't to bad. When I was looking at it and touched the sac it bleeds. The sack is pink.and hard.

3/11/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, sorry you are having this problem now.

If you can upload a photo it would help in the diagnosis.

You can use this link for instructions: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert ,

You can use the "PAPER CLIP ICON" ,

OR you can use a photo hosting site like: https://www.flickr.com/ , http://imgur.com/, http://photobucket.com/ and then send me the link.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I really don't know how to do that. Or I would. I can tell you its attached and I was able to move it with a flosser end. It didn't hurt but throbs. Really bleed a lot so I put a guaze pad on it and it stopped. Its been seeping a icky tasting stuff for awhile. Is this something that could happen from a dry socket?

Ok, thanks for trying.

You really should not be bleeding or swollen after 17 days!

It is possible that there is a secondary infection present and you really should be placed on antibiotics.

The drugs of choice are Amoxicillin or Clindamycin.

You should also call your dentist on Monday and have the socket checked and a Xray in order to see if there is anything still in the socket that should not be there.

I also suggest you take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a narcotic prescription medication.

Does all this make sense to you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it makes sense. Ive had other teeth pulled and never anything like this ever happen. The sac or whatever it is getting bigger. It is above the gum at this point. What worries me could this rupture and if infected make me sick. I do plan on calling the dentist rite away Monday morning. Have you seen anything like this before?

Yes, I have seen this before many times and is more common than you think especially after difficult extractions.

The clot tends to organize and fills the socket as it regenerates and heals. However, when what you are describing happens it is usually from a minor infection and is easily taken care of by the dentist. It may bleed again but do not worry because that is also normal and if the bleeding continues just bite on a tea bag and it will stop the bleeding.

Dry sockets normally take 5-6 weeks to heal properly if that was what you had. They usually occur during the first 24-48 hours following the extraction and when you lose the clot there is exquisite pain. That is how you know you have a dry socket because pain is the main indicator of a dry socket. So if that was what happened to you then you did have a dry socket.

Did your dentist see you for the dry socket?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I didn't go in. I iced my jaw and rinsed with salt water. At the time I figure there wasn't to much that could be done but to run its course. Took ibuprofen and took it easy. The sac thing started that I noticed 2 3 days ago. The only other weird thing is my tongue gets a green film on it that I scrape off with a tongue cleaner. I figure that was what is seeping out of the hole. Is there any symtoms that I should watch for until I get to the dentist that would be alarming. A fever Im sure,anything else?

Thanks. Then you most likely did not have a dry socket because that requires treatment and pain pills in order to move on to healing. Good news!!

This means that there is a secondary infection present and your dentist can take care of that and get started on antibiotics.

The green film is from an infection. Fever and swelling are what you look for and if that happens just call your dentist and he call in an antibiotic for you. If you do start to swell do NOT put any heat on the outside of your face and use warm salt water rinses in your mouth. You can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours.

I think you now have all the information you need.

Good luck Monday!! :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok sounds good. Thank you for your time. I feel better and all makes sense.

You are very welcome!!

Have a great evening and thanks for using justAnswer.

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor