Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I’m sorry to bother you, I know I’m probably just letting…

Hi again! I’m sorry to...
Hi again! I’m sorry to bother you, I know I’m probably just letting anxiety get the better of me. But at certain points today my tooth has had a fleeting, dull discomfort. About 5 seconds, then it would go away. Then return and go away. I drank some orange juice earlier, a big one. Could it still be sensitive from the sugar? Could stress cause it? It’s not a ow pain, it’s more of a huh that’s odd and a little uncomfortable, but goes away.
3/10/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, it is never a bother and thanks for requesting me!

Any tooth can react the way yours is doing now and most times it is the nerve in the tooth adjusting itself to some outside stimuli that irritated or inflamed it. This could come from the nerve being irritated from an exposed root surface, a gum related issue or from an old filling in the tooth. The only time it becomes something that needs attention is if it either persists or gets worse.

Then the tooth needs to be examined and evaluated to see if there is something actually wrong or if it is till trying to overcome the original insult to the tooth that started the sensitivity.

So for now, I suggest you do nothing and see if things calm down or disappear on their own in the next few days. And if not, then you would need to call your dentist for an exam.

The fact that the discomfort goes away quickly is a great sign and most times things do return to normal. Hopefully, this will be the case for you as well.

Does this make sense to you?

This tooth has been filled before. A few other teeth would fee this way then cease and never happen again. One time I ran to the dentist after it hurt from eating chocolate it would be a sharp pain. He examined it and said “I can’t see anything wrong. Sometimes certain foods cause pain and to be honest we dentists aren’t 100% why. The best explanation is that tooth is just sensitive.So much like stubbing your toe (it’s a quick ouch created by an outside stimuli but nothing is actually wrong with the toe) teeth can have a random unexplained ouch, and it’s just a irritation that’s nothing to worry about?

Your dentist is correct. We know it is the nerve in the tooth that is responding to something that is irritating it and most times it just goes away on its own. Every tooth that has a cavity and then a filling placed has a damaged nerve. Most times the nerve recovers from the insult from the cavity preparation and then the restoration. Eventually, that nerve may die or be become sensitive from time to time and if we lived long enough the nerve would die but fortunately, we don't live that long. LOL

I would not worry about it unless it persists or gets worse. :):)

Doctor, you’re making me nervous with damage nerve, dead nerve, and all that. Does that mean root canal? Or is it normal for everyone to have some nerve damage in their teeth? All it means is that from time to time we’ll feel some sensitivity?

No need to worry!! I am just giving you all the information regarding any sensitivity with teeth.

Yours is not a problem so please do not worry.

And yes, all it means is that from time to time folks may feel some sensitivity and it is perfectly normal for that to happen.

So there is no reason to be nervous or anxious about it, at all!!!

Oh. So that doesn’t mean root canal? It just means that if a person ever had a cavity then part of that nerve is damaged already, and all that means is that occasionally it’ll be sensitive?I don’t have to worry about loosing the tooth.Is it a good sign that the pain goes away?

Sorry, I scared you!! That was not my intention.

I just wanted you to have all the information you needed in order to fully understand what was happening to you now.

It does NOT mean a root canal for you now!!

You will NOT lose this tooth!

And yes, it is was a wonderful sign that the pain goes away quickly.

That is why you are all good and need not worry!!

Root Canal Doctor
Lol, I was just a little nervous, the pain actually subsided and you were VERY informative. Thank you so so much. I’m relieved :)

You are very welcome!!

Again, I apologize for frightening you with all the information.

After so many years of both teaching and practice, I have a habit of including all the information so that folks fully undertsnad what is goiing on. And for some, it can be scary having too much information.

Thanks again for asking for me and have a great evening!!

No, not at all doctor. I appreciate the I formation and next time welcome it again. You have assured me everything is A-ok, the pain went away, which according to you is a Great sign and a sign everything is ok. I can relax :)!

:):)