Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Mom had top back abbess tooth extracted on Thursday & she…

Mom had top back abbess...
Mom had top back abbess tooth extracted on Thursday & she has been in pain since, cheek swelling, & the site seems to have pus. Is this normal?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Was your mother placed on an antibiotic?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1000mg of amoxicillin

She should be taking 500 mg every 8 hours. When did she start taking it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wednesday

The swelling should be going down by now. Did she notice any increased swelling just after the tooth was extracted?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The first day after the tooth was pulled (Thursday afternoon) her cheeks were swollen & today they are still just a little swollen

The socket normally has a whitish coating over it called granulation tissue. Sometimes during the injection of the local anesthetic in this area,a hematoma forms and will cause prolonged swelling but this is not necessarily infection. She should stay on the amoxicillin for a full week around the clock,500 mg every 8 hours. For pain , 600 mg of ibuprofen alternating every four hours with 1000 mg of tylenol should give some pain relief.

If she is in that much pain,she may have lost the blood clot out of the socket causing what we call a dry socket.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a photo of the extraction site

From the picture,she may be having pain coming from the tooth in front of the extraction site. It has a large hole in it.

If the pain is coming from the extraction site itself,I can tell you how to make a dressing and relieve that pain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the extraction site look to be infected?

The source of the infection was the tooth. The tooth is now gone. It is unlikely infected because she is on amoxicillin. That is just granulation tissue not pus.

Do you want the instructions for the packing?

If you have no further questions,could you please leave a rating? We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)