Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I am concerned about a patch i found in the back of my

Hi i am concerned...

Hi i am concerned about a patch i found in the back of my mouth. Its white and is red all around. It is right next to an empty socket where i had a wisdom tooth removed many years ago and i fear might be infected. I am terrified of it being cancer. Im only 32 but have not taken the best care of my teeth until now. I am seeing a dentist next week. Could this white patch be caused by other issues such as an infection or dry mouth?

Doctor's Assistant: Has the redness been stable or getting worse? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

Im not sure how long it has been there to be honest. The empty socket has some kind of yellowish tissue(?) That seems to be growing out of it. Sorry this is so gross. The redness isnt a patch, more of just the whole area. The white is more of a patch. Im only seeing it for the first time because i got a new phone that takes really good pictures so i took a pic to see what was going on

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about the redness? How long have you been dealing with this?

No i havent been to a dentist in far too long. No insurance. Finally got some coverage so im going next week but i cant stop googling and freaking out

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

What do you mean specifically?

Hi still just waiting for an answer?
3/10/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Can you upload a picture of the area in question?

Its behind all the decay. Clearly i have many issues. The red and white is in the very back corner
I also have been taking cold medicine for alil over a week for a pretty bad cold. I might have dry mouth based on the symptoms i looked up. Also my roof of my mouth is yellow!

Standby

From the picture,it looks like you may still have some root fragments remaining from a previous extraction. It also appears like you have a cusp of a tooth trying to erupt.I would need to see an X-ray of this area to confirm what is going on but this does not look like it has anything to do with cancer. You have at least two infected teeth that need to be removed from looking at this picture.

The yellowish area in the roof of your mouth is nothing to be concerned about.Your best bet right now is to have an X-ray taken of your mouth. When you get that X-ray,I can look at it for you and let you know what is going on.

Thankyou so much for your response. I am seeing a dentist in a week. You did see the white and red i was referring to? It looks redder and white in other pictures. I know there are so many things going on but i am praying i can resolve these issues. Does it look infected?i will definately request xrays

I can tell you that the two other teeth in the picture are infected and need to be removed ASAP. I also suspect that there are infected root tips above the red and white area that you are referring to.These issues are not difficult to resolve.These teeth have been neglected for a while and need to be dealt with. It is not that complicated.

Ok thankyou

You are welcome. You need not worry about this being cancer. These are infected root tips that need to come out.

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

I will, thankyou so much!

My pleasure ,try not to worry.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)