Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I'm at huge dentist needing a as I d opinion on a multiple…

I'm at huge dentist needing...
I'm at huge dentist needing a as I d opinion on a multiple dentist procedure. Can a general dentist please look at a photo and help me make a quicker decision
I'm at a dentist needing a second opinion on a multiple dentist procedure. Can a general dentist please look at a photo and help me make a quicker decision
3/10/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi Steve,

There does not appear to be a general dentist available at this moment.

If you can upload a photo I will see if I can help you.

You can use this link for instructions: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert ,

You can use the "PAPER CLIP ICON" ,

OR you can use a photo hosting site like: https://www.flickr.com/ , http://imgur.com/, http://photobucket.com/ and then send me the link.

Thank you.

The tooth in question is number 2

Thanks for the photo.

What is your question?

I am the patient and I have been recommended for a root canal here at the endodontist office.

I am an Endodontist too!! LOL

Why was a root canal recommended?

Are you having symptoms?

Was there a cavity found on the front part (mesial) of the tooth?

if you notice, the tooth appears (to me-the patient) to have a cavity still remaining after a prep for a crown byte general dentist . Not necessarily a route canal. Or nerve problem.My general dentist is good. Exceptional actually so I believe there is no mistake I'd age left part of the cavity in the tooth. Do you think that it may be too deep to treat with only a crown. Do you believe my general dentist can still take more tooth off and save me the money of doing a root canal here now today at the endo of I wait.
I'm guessing the cavity is too deep to not hit a nerve , but do you think there is enough tooth to crown without a root canal?
No the endidontist isnt seeing a cavity

The cavity does appear to reach the nerve but to be sure the dentist will normally excavate to be sure that it has in fact reached the pulp of the tooth. The only way to be sure that there is an exposure is to actually clean out the entire cavity. The Xray is only 2 dimensional and what appears to be a cavity could just be an area of the tooth itself that is more radiolucent which is why a cavity needs to be cleaned out completely.

There is enough tooth there now that a crown can be made. If the cavity is not there after a good exam I would go ahead and have the crown made and if the nerve does die later you can always have a root canal done through the crown without damaging it.

Especially if the tooth is asymptomatic and no cavity is present!! Why do a root canal if it is not needed.

The Endodontist needs to give you a valid reason to do a root canal!!

Sounds like what I'm saying the catch is that I have been in a lot of pain since the temporary crown fell off and I'm on my seventh or eight sleepless night. What a frustration
I might include not doing the root canal (yet!) would be logical but in this case it's hard not to be done with it and be pain free for sure. Too bad every tooth cody so much because I am choosing between doing a root canal on either 14 or two. Ruff call because of the current pain and I don't know a dentist who would touch another ones work. If I say nj to ny bee two it might be calling the shots here..?!

You had not mentioned that you were symptomatic!! That makes all the difference in whether to do or not do a root canal. If you are in pain then a root canal done first is a must because no dentist will do a crown on a tooth that is hurting you without first eliminating the pain. If there were no symptoms then I would not have a root canal but since you are hurting you need to do the root canal first!!

Does this now make sense to you?

What are you taking for the pain?

Root Canal Doctor
Now it does. I'm being numbed and it's a killing me!!! Not usually that way. But yes it's horrible.
Great answers. And thanks for walking me threw that

You are very welcome!

You deserve to know the facts so you can make an informed decision as to what to do.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.

By the way, you can try taking 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication.

Good luck and have great day.

She just informed me that they have to clean out a cavity completely before attempting (or completing) a root canal

Excellent!! That is exactly what I earlier wrote that should be done!!

Finally, you are getting the correct procedure that needs to be done first!! :):)

Hey doctor just an update. I was literally in dramatic shock when I went out and had a cold sprite for the first time in two weeks and didn't need to hide that tooth (#2) it feels great and I slept like a baby. Still confused on why. R general debris refused to take the cavity all the way out first. You'd think if her intention was to avoid a root canal, she would have done better. Anyway. The endodontist worked on me for an hour and a half and stayed after closing because I almost came out of the chair when the assistant tried to numb me.
Eventually the endodontist restated that there was no cavity and the cavity would have been an an entirely procedure. So she denies there being any cavity still. It's looking good but seems she drilled the back of the tooth completely off, which is a myth I've heard about drill happy endos. I guess that parts is unnecessary in gluing the tooth to a crown.
Still is mysterious why she drilled down that tooth to a slant if there was no cavity to be removed. ��

Hi Steve,

Glad to hear you are doing better.

There may just have been a defect on the lingual (back) of the crown and no cavity????? Who knows now!!!

You really do not need much of a crown to put a crown on the tooth anyway.

Enjoy your weekend pain free for a change!! :):)

Enjoy thanks.

:):)