Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have an ulcer. On the side of my tongue, it is really

I have an ulcer...

I have an ulcer. On the side of my tongue, it is really painful and not going away. Ive had an occasional sore spot onthe other side but it goes away after a few days. I amalso a cancer survivor and wonder if i should be concerned

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Ive had it for at least three weeks now, when my teeth rub up against the ulcer it really hurts, eating and drinking of course as well

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

It is a round hole on the underside of my tongue with white bumps and skin around it

3/9/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

If you can upload a photo it would help in the diagnosis.

You can use this link for instructions: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert ,

You can use the "PAPER CLIP ICON" ,

OR you can use a photo hosting site like: https://www.flickr.com/ , http://imgur.com/, http://photobucket.com/ and then send me the link.

Thank you.

Did u get the pics
I cannot afford 50.00 right now my brother was just diagnosed with stage four carcinoma
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! I'd be happy to help you with the ulcer on your tongue. You mentioned that you are a cancer survivor. How long ago was your cancer treatment? And did you have any radiation to your head or neck area?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

No, i had a radical double mastectomy, and they took my left lymph node,
I cannot afford the 50.00

Okay. Thank you for answering those questions. Your earlier photos did not upload. I don't have to have a picture, but if you can get one to attach, it will give me a better idea of what's going on.

You can ignore the phone call request. It is an automatic offer. We can just chat this way.

Dr. Lara

I had that surgery in2011

In general, ulcers like the one you are describing are caused by an initial irritation or trauma, like biting the side of your tongue. If your mouth is dry, it is much more likely to occur.

There is a wonderful prescription mouthwash that can really alleviate your pain called "Magic Mouthwash". In order to get this mouthwash, you would need to call your dentist and ask for a prescription.

If you are unable to do that, you can use an over-the-counter mouthwash for mouth sores. I recommend either Peroxyl (made by Colgate) or Biotene for dry mouth.

Try to minimize chewing and talking, basically anything that moves your tongue around. More friction against the adjacent teeth will aggravate the ulcer. Eat a soft, mild diet. Not hot, spicy, or acidic foods. They will all aggravate the ulcer.

Large ulcers can take 10-14 days to heal. In the meantime, you can take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medicines like Advil or Motrin to help with the pain.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Thank you, ***** ***** need to be concerned about Cancer in it

That's a great question. An ulcer that does not heal on its own after 2 weeks needs to have an in-person evaluation by a dentist or oral surgeon. You mentioned that you also have some tenderness and soreness on the opposite side of your tongue, which is a good sign that this is a problem with ulceration from friction. Cancer does not typically occur on both sides of the mouth at the same time. But keep an eye on it. If it is still present and has not gotten smaller after 2 weeks, make an appt to see your dentist ASAP.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

I have had this for three weeks now when should I go in

In that case, you should go in now. It is still probable that it is just an irritation ulcer caused by friction against your teeth. However, the fact that it is not healing means something may need to be addressed in order to help you heal.

Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your time

You're welcome! I am happy to help. Please let me know if you have any other questions. You can reach me directly for future questions at: https://www.justanswer.com/dental/expert-laracoseoddsfagd/?rpt=3800

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

I felt that Dr Lara was really knowledgeable and caring. She gave me concise information and directions on what to do in the interim. Put my mind at ease, Thank you so much!