Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Lara. Hope you'll get back to me

Hi dr Lara . Hope...
Hi dr Lara . Hope you'll get back to me
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! I am here now. What can I help you with?

Dr. Lara

Hi dr ! As I had told you about my jaw pain went to the dentist today she said very slight hypermobility in the TMJ. Just some warm fermentation should be enough

I'm glad you were able to see a dentist quickly! Did she mention anything about a slipped or displaced disc?

Also, what does she mean by warm fermentation? That's not a term I am familiar with.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

No nothing she checked my jaw movement by placing her hand on my jaw , and said that it's very slight hypermobiloty other than that not a problem. In how much time will it resolve? By fermentation she meant placing a small warm towel on the jaw when it pains

Okay, yes, that sounds appropriate. We just call it a warm, moist compress here in the states.

You may want to consider doing some physical therapy exercises for your jaw joints, just to keep them in proper function. I have included links to two websites that have good exercises to do.

When you have pain, are you taking any over-the-counter medications? If not, you should try to take an anti-inflammatory medicine. I will have to do a little research to find out what medications are available in your area. Are you located in India?

Here are the websites to try:

https://healdove.com/disease-illness/Exercises-to-Help-Alleviate-TMJJaw-Pain

http://www.healthline.com/health/tmj-exercises#exercise2

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Yeah she did consider muscle relaxants but she says it's so slight it should get okay when the wisdom tooth erupts and the jaw stabilises

Okay, a muscle relaxant may help if you have pain in your cheek muscles and headaches frequently.

If the pain is located in the joint itself (just in front of your ear), then an anti-inflammatory medication will give you more relief. In the US, I recommend Ibuprofen (name brands are Advil or Motrin). Do you have access to that?

Dr. Lara

Yeah sure there is no dearth of pain killers or relaxants . I'll look into that . Thanks ! How long will this take to resolve ?

The length of time for this is difficult to predict. Some patients will recover quickly, and others will have lingering problems.

Did she give you instructions like no chewing gum, eat a soft diet, etc . . .? You want to be as gentle with your jaw joints as possible.

Dr. Lara

she did I have a very bad habit of poofing my mouth . She said avoid that don't open your mouth too wide and stuff like that

Great! It sounds like she had good advice for you.
Are there any other questions I can answer for you?

Dr. Lara

No :) not as of now :) but this is not permanent right ? I hope it doesn't come to spoilt where I have to be sent to a dental surgeon , do not want that !

I cannot tell you if it will be a permanent thing or not since I haven't evaluated your joints in person, and we do not have an MRI of the joints. However, the pain you are currently feeling should not be permanent, as you can treat it with PT, chiropractic adjustments, a mouthguard, and anti-inflammatory medications.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Yeah plus it's better . I have not had it for a day or two now let's hope the trend continues and once the wisdom teeth erupts the jaw stabilises and it stops

That's great! I'm glad you have had some relief for the past few days. Do what you can to keep the joints healthy, and take it one day at a time!

Thank you for requesting me on this question! Have a great weekend!

Dr. Lara

Yeah :) I don't get pain when I am eating chewing or talking . Only after I poof my mouth which I am working and also if I yawn so I guess that doesn't indicate a grave problem . At least I hope not