Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I broke a molar. A whole section broke off. It’s very sharp…

I broke a molar...

I broke a molar. A whole section broke off. It’s very sharp and hurts. I will not be able to get to a dentist any time soon due to $$. What negatives can come from using dental cement to fill hole?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No pain. Sharp edges hurt my tongue

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I have poor teeth quality. Several fillings. Bleeding gums. Portion of tooth that broke was also a filling plus tooth.

3/9/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, sorry this happened.

Using temporary cement is a good thing to try and will work as long as the tooth has a live nerve in it. If there is a dead nerve in the tooth then placing cement in it could stop any gases or drainage which would lead to more discomfort. If the tooth is sensitive to temperature it means there is a live nerve and you are ok to use dental cement. If it is not sensitive to temperature then you could still be ok and would have to wait and see if placing the cement causes more pain. But most of the time cement helps rather than hurts. For pain, you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication.

Would you like some information on low cost and no cost options that may be available in your area?

CVS Temporary Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair and DenTek Temparin Max - Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair are excellent products.
DENTEMP is very strong and Recapit No Mix Cement, Maximum Strength, 1 g. also by Dentemp are excellent products.

If there is sensitivity or pain then you try a Red Cross toothache kit which contains eugenol which works great if there is a pain and a cavity or decay. This only helps with teeth that have live nerves.

Do you need more information?

Are you still there?

How do I know if there is a dead nerve?
And can dental cement be removed by me? Or will it just wear away on its own?

Sensitivity to temperature, as I mentioned earlier, is a sign that there is a live nerve in the tooth.

If there is a dead nerve in the tooth you will not know it without testing or having a Xray.

You can easily remove any of the temp types of cement that you buy from a drug store.

Over time it will wear down from biting and chewing.

Root Canal Doctor
Thank you!

You are very welcome!!

Good luck and have a great day. :):)