Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I recently had a toothache that will result in a root canal…

So I recently had...

So I recently had a toothache that will result in a root canal in about 2 weeks. so far my dentist has mentioned that everything is ok besides that one tooth. but now I'm getting a toothache on another area it comes and goes every few months its dull but not sensitive to cold or hot temp

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

I did have the flu a few weeks ago and a sinus infection but that was weeks ago too

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pain is on my lower jaw near my ear on the left. Its kind of bothering that ear too
3/8/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, it is possible that you do have something else happening at this time.

However, if this tooth that you are now describing is on the opposite arch of your mouth then that could be just referred pain from the tooth that needs treatment.

Which tooth is going to have the root canal?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The one that needs a root canal is on the upper right side. This dull achy pain that comes and goes every few months is on my lower side near my ear on the left

Thanks.

The discomfort on the lower left side is not referred pain from the upper right side and is a separate issue.

Lower teeth can refer pain to the ears, neck and up into the temple.

If this only occurs every couple of months it is either gum/bone related or nerve related and a simple Xray and pulp test by your dentist will help diagnose the cause. Please mention this to the dentist so it can be examined to be sure there is nothing happening there that requires help immediately. OK?

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor