Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I was on Amoxicillin 875/CLAV 125 for a tooth infection. I…

I was on Amoxicillin 875/CLAV...
I was on Amoxicillin 875/CLAV 125 for a tooth infection. I was down to the last two pills and los the bottle. I have some Amoxicillin 500 mg on hand until I get ahold of the dentist. Is it ok to take the 500 mg version in place of the 875 mg version?
3/8/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, yes, it is perfectly ok to use the Amoxicillin 500mg that you have on hand.

If you have been on the original meds for more than 7 days then you really do not need to take the 2 Amoxicillin.

If you need more information please ask.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for the reply Dr. I was looking frantically for the 875 mg I lost. I do have some of the 500 mg left over from dental work. You say it should be ok to take the 500 mg for now. Besides, potency, what is the difference between the 875 mg/CLAV K 125 mg and the 500 mg ? You are suggesting the 500 mg should treat the infection?

Most dental related infections are treated with either Amoxicillin or Clindamycin.

What you were given has Cavulanic Acid in it to help treat ears, lungs, sinus, skin, and urinary

tract infections but is not normally used for dental infections.

A 500 mg dose of Amoxicillin 3 or 4 times day or 300mg dose of Clindamycin 3 times a day is all that is needed to help control dental infections.

Since you have been taking the meds for at least 7 days it really makes no difference if you take the 500's now or not take them at all. :):)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh fascinating!. I just took a 500 mg. So I should be able to stop it. I will take one more. The Clav K was extra for the sinuses. The toothache was the right upper canine, and it seemed to affect the sinuses. My face was puffy and pretty sore. The 7 day part is very interesting. I took another one just now just in case. Would you recommend a probiotic with these antibiotics?

Thanks for the added information.

Now I understand why you were given what you were given, lol.

The sinuses are normally located in back of or distal to the canine teeth and do not normally affect the sinuses.

Taking a probiotic will not hurt and it does help some folks who also have stomach upsets during antibiotic therapy.

So if you do have any stomach related issues go ahead and take some probiotics or since you are now completing the therapy you can wait to see if your stomach issues resolve on their own. That way you would not to be taking more pills if they are not needed.

Does this make sense to you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for the delay. You are saying the Amoxicillin should still take care of the infection? I am having some yogurt. I may a probiotic pill. Any suggestion for yogurt?

Yes, it is the same Amoxicillin you were taking but without the Clav K.

Most people do not need a probiotic with this but taking some will not hurt you.

This would be true if you were on it for an extended period of time but with a normal 7-10 dose, it should not be needed.

But everyone responds differently so if you are having stomach issues then taking a probiotic would help.

your choice, OK?

Are you still there?

Root Canal Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for the delay. Thank you very much for your insight and reassurance. I will gladly give a rating now. .

Thanks and have a great day!! :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor