Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

What do I do if there is three dentist who tell me I have…

Customer Question
What do I do if...
What do I do if there is three dentist who tell me I have decay and one dentist who doesn't see anything and think I should wait six months to determine if anything shows up. He stated because the old crown is recemented and no further bacteria can affect the tooth to leave it alone.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
3/8/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Do you have an xray of the tooth to upload? Are you having any symptoms?

It's the same tooth I showed you before. I have decided I'm definitely not getting an implant however I'm now debating about redoing the crown
No symptoms it was an old crown that apparently had an root canal

The tooth needs a new crown. There is nothing to get infected because the tooth has been root canaled. If there was decay ,it should have been removed before recementing the old crown.

I forwarded the x ray. We're you able to see the decay
I'll have to get the new dentist to break the crown, clean the decay and then put on a new crown. The old crown did not have a leak it came off because the cement wore after 10 years

There is just a small amount of decay at the gumline that looks to be able to be repaired. Sometimes we need to remove a little gum tissue to get to the base of it. This can be done when the tooth is prepped for the new crown.

This is an easy fix and nothing to worry about.

Ok just wanted to get your opinion because some dentist told me if I get this done that the odds are that it would only last 2 years before needing an implant. Another dentist told me to leave it alone the decay won't get any worse since the old crown had been recemented and no further bacteria can get in

It is not a matter of bacteria. It has to do with sound tooth structure and sealing the tooth under a crown with sealed margins.The new crown will seal the margins and you should be able to keep the tooth for decades to come.You do not need an implant.

I think it may be all my anxiety levels building due to prior dental experience. It was just difficult for me to think of getting work done for a tooth and doesn't hurt and has no symptoms. But I also want to keep my tooth for a long time so I'm going to get it done

This tooth can last you for a long time. You will have no symptoms because the tooth has been root canaled.Just get the new crown done by someone experienced. It should not be painful and it really does not take much time to do it.

Please leave a rating when you get a chance.