Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My 4 molars on right side have sharp intense pain. Then pain…

My 4 molars on...

My 4 molars on right side have sharp intense pain. Then pain began with lower right side with 4 molars. History of peris

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

History of periodontal disease, untreated for years cause I lack insurance. History of autoimmune disease of Lupus and Sjögren's Syndrome. This pain started suddenly. Nothing helps pain and it's constant and prevents me from chewing.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

TY

I'm not taking my usual meds cause the Visiting physician cut me off suddenly without warning and gave me no refills. I'm homebound and trapped in 2nd floor apt and can't use stairs. I walk slowly with great difficulty with ataxia. I used to take Nucynta, Tizanidine, Nexium but I ran out 4 months ago. I haven't found a Dr since. I only go out in wheelchair. I haven't left my apt in over 3 years. I have 6 Ultram left that are 3 yrs old. I was saving them to help me get to a Dr's office. I had to take 1 at 5 am cause the teeth, gums and jaw pain was too sharp and intense to bear. Oragel makes pain worse for me. TY. What about Ambersol? My pharmacy Delivers.
I walk slowly and with great difficulty with a cane. I have overall constant body pain, with many injuries but I have no pain management now except Aleve which doesn't help and didn't help this sudden molar teeth pain. The 4 upper molars are slightly loose. I lost 2 molars on left side upper and a 3rd molar cracked open when the filling came out. I had a deep cleaning once many years ago, over 15 years ago. Please see previous 2 msgs. TY.
3/8/2018
Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

I am happy to try and help today...

TY. I sent 3 messages.
I'm 57 with 4 upper-right molars in sharp pain. 1 4 yr old Ultram 50 mg helps a bit but I only have 6 left and can't get more. Please see previous 3 messages.
This sharp pain began last night and woke me at 4 am.
Are you there?
Hello Dr Kremser?
Are you there? Hello? I need you to answer me please.
Is this real or a scam please?

sorry- my computer locked... i will be right there

how long has it been since last checkup?

About 15 years. I don't have insurance. I have periodontal disease. My back molar on upper left recently lost its filling and cracked in the back of tooth but isn't painful now. Pain is entirely on right side.
4 upper right molars are a bit loose. I can wiggle them slightly. They're intensely sharply painful and woke me from sleep at 4 am.
I took 1 4 yr old Ultram 50 mg at 5 am and this helped me go back to sleep but was awakened by sharp pain 8:30 am cause the 4 yr old Ultram wore off that quickly. Aleve doesn't help. Oragel makes it worse.

Well, without an exam, obviously the exact causes will be hard to pinpoint. I will say that after 15 years, without an exam or cleaning, a person who has a history of periodontal disease could have very serious bone loss and periodontal infections. Serious enough that it could lead to needed full mouth extractions and dentures.

MY other concern is the Sjogren's. This leads to serious dry mouth, and xerostomia for a prolonged time with no dental treatment might mean extreme decay (cavities). Your pain might be related to teeth that are needing root canals or teeth that have abscessed from this decay.

I think you know you have serious issues, are you seeking guidance on pain management at this point? What other questions do you have?

If I can't get to a dentist right away, which I know I need, can the pain be managed temporarily til I find a dentist? The problem is difficulty with transportation, being in a wheelchair, and first finding a dentist who might partially accept Medicare plus additional payments. I might be able to get my older brothers help. Is this a dental emergency? Thank you.
Is this a dental emergency or can I wait to find a dentist? There's a dental clinic in a teaching hospital that accepts emergency cases. I've had several really bad errors made by the students there. That's why I didn't return. One drilled too deep and actually hit the tooths nerve. Can I wait to find an experienced dentist or must I go to hospital for dental emergency? See previous msg. Thank you.
Hello Dr Kremser, I sent 2 replies to your question.
NJ just had a big snowstorm last night. Is this a dental emergency or can I wait to find a more experienced dentist, rather than the students at the clinic? How quickly would I need treatment?

Well, if the pain can be managed temporarily, then you can put off the emergency visit. That is the problem. I think the ultram are a good idea to use before bed to help you sleep. Have we tried alternating Tylenol and Advil? Take 2 Tylenol , then 4 hours later 2 advil, then 4 hours later 2 Tylenol, and so on and so on. This will keep your liver safe and help manage pain.

TY, Id been taking Aleve and Tylenol together. I can't tolerate Advil with GERD and hiatal Hernia. I'll try alternating them as you said to protect stomach, GI and liver. TY SO much. How much does this cost? TY, I need to know cost. TY!

Aleve is a suitable replacement, but make sure it is 550 mg 2x a day, not more frequently.

Glad to help! Not sure what the cost is from your end... I think you can request help from a moderator on the site. Just make sure, if you can, to rate my response to you so that I can help other patients! Let me know how everything ends up!

Dr Matthew Kremser