Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I just started antibiotics for a tooth infection. My dentist…

Customer Question
I just started antibiotics...

I just started antibiotics for a tooth infection. My dentist says I will need a root canal. Is that always the case with infections?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

I had an X-Ray yesterday. There has been no swelling.

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

I had throbbing pain for a few days last week, but it was intermittent and with no apparent cause, i.e. it hurt when I ate or drank but only sometimes and at other times there was pain for no reason. It kept me up for two or three nights, but there has been no pain over the last 2 days. The X-Ray showed infection in my molar. I do have a filling in that tooth.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
3/7/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Tooth infections are different from any other infections in the body. If you have a tooth infection,you have two choices. Root canal therapy or extraction. Antibiotics cannot cure tooth infections. They can only keep the infection from spreading temporarily. Once the antibiotic is stopped ,the infection will return. Antibiotics cannot penetrate the pulp off the tooth so bacteria will remain and continue to multiply.

Tooth infections only get worse when not treated and can cause major facial swelling which can be serious. If you cannot afford to have the root canal done on the tooth,the tooth needs to be extracted.I am sorry but those are your only real options.

Are you still with me?