Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a darker red spot on my tongue that isn't painful but…

I have a darker red...
I have a darker red spot on my tongue that isn't painful but feels rough when I rub the roof of my mouth on it.
3/4/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi David,

Thanks for the photo.

The dark red spot is from trauma that you sustained while eating and chewing and it tends to keratinize which means it thickens like a callous and that is why it feels rough to the touch. This is a normal response to some irritation or trauma and will heal on its own without requiring any treatment. It is not dangerous or serious and there is no need to worry about it. Anything that persists for more than 2-3 weeks is what needs to be seen by your dentist for an evaluation.

But yours will disappear on its own!!

I hope this answers your question. :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** worry about oral cancers cause I have been a smoker for 11 years or so. So you are very sure it is not anything like that?

You are very welcome!

It is definitely not oral cancer so you do not need to worry about it.

Your age does not even fall into the category of possible oral cancer from smoking. It takes 30-40 years for most oral cancers to appear in persistent smokers which would be more probable for those 50 years and older.

Oral lesions usually appear as raised, irregular borders, crusty, weeping, and painful. And they normally appear on the inner cheeks or soft tissues of the mouth and not the tongue.

So you are good and need not be concerned! :):)

Are you still there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you see anything dangerous?

Hi David,

Everything appears to be normal and there is nothing dangerous at all in the 2 photos!

You are good to go and need not worry.

When you get a chance please rate our interaction so that I get credit for responding.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Root Canal Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you. I wanted to ask cause I was feeling some type of bump in that area with my tongue.

You are welcome.

The tongue has lots of bumps called rugae.

They are a series of ridges which is thick heavy tissue over bone.

It is normal to have them and occasionally they too can be traumatized and irritated by hot and crunchy foods.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You talked about softer tissues as far as oral cancer. Are the gums behind the top teeth considered soft tissue?

No, they are not considered soft tissue.

The only place that is soft is the soft palate way back in the mouth and the incisive papilla right between the 2 front teeth on the palate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
any type of oral cancer is not likely to develop in that area?

That is correct!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, I have a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis which i've had for a while but i'm still learning about it. Do I have to worry about MS affecting anything dental wise?

The only issue with folks who have MS is that they tend to focus on the MS and then neglect their teeth and do not do the proper home care or dental visits to maintain the teeth and gums.

Other than that there is no direct problem with the teeth from MS.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the circled top part of my mouth look normal? The bone in the middle feels dry and sore at the back, and I want to make sure its nothing serious.

Hi, thanks for the photo.

It just appears to have been irritated by something because it appears so red in the photo.

This is not serious at all and you need not worry about it.

If it bothers you you can use warm salt water rinse to help with the irritation. You can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours.

But it is not necessary to do it because it will return to normal on its own. :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor