Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I am getting some conflicting information on some dental…

I am getting some conflicting...
I am getting some conflicting information on some dental work I need done,and I an unsure how to proceed. I have been having pain in my upper right mouth area. One dentist says #5 needs a root canal as filling is touching the root. Another says #4 needs a crown and then the 3rd dentist says there are cavities that need to be filled in between #4 and 5 and the fillings have worn down and need to be replaced, plus teeth 2 and 3 have small cavities. I wear a flipper due to a front tooth missing from an accident in childhood, possibly causing bacteria to get trapped. I am having pain but I'm hesitant to proceed because the last time I got a filling my molar calcified and it resulted in an emergency extraction. Very cautious and wanting another opinion. X-rays attached. Thank you.
2/12/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Okay thank you. Just to clarify i had a cyst removed on the bottom right along with a wisdom tooth. It shows up on the pan as a cyst and seemed to panic people.

I was going to mention that first. I am glad that you had that taken care of already.

Teeth #'s 4 and 5 both need some attention.

If you are having symptoms like pain to heat or biting pressure,the decay has approached the pulp and that tooth may require root canal therapy ..which is no big deal. The other fillings are simple fixes. Teeth are crowned to protect them from fracturing. Teeth that are over 70% filling should be crowned.

Standby,I need to talk to this patient in t he chair.

I'm not having pain when biting down or hot or cold sensitivity. I am not a fan of root canals, due to bacteria getting trapped in the.. I'm basically looking for the minimal amount of dental work necessary. What would you advise for #4 and #5 and do you think #2 and 3 need attention? Do they have cavities that show on the x-rays? Thank you.

If you have no symptoms,there is no reason to deal with the root canal issue. Root canals save teeth. Tooth #5 looks like it has a filling or some decay very close to the pulp. Both 4 and 5 need new fillings.They should be crowned eventually to stop them from breaking.Teeth 2 and 3 may very well have decay. It is difficult to see with these xrays.

The molar teeth at least should have amalgam fillings on the biting surfaces. The composite fillings have a tendency to leak in the posterior teeth and do not hold up well. That is why you are having problems with teeth 4 and 5.

Okay concerning #4 and #5. For #2 and #3, Is there anyway to figure out if these teeth do actually have cavities. Other than to just trust the dentist. Dentist 1 and 2 never mentioned this issue, just dentist 3 and i'm not sure there actually are any cavities?

We determine cavities by looking at xrays and doing a clinical exam. Since I cannot do a clinical exam,I cannot give you that kind of specific information but the xrays on teeth 4 and 5 show broken down composite fillings so I would not be surprised if there is decay around them . Again,these composite fillings have a tendency to leak and do not last long like amalgam fillings do.The only way to be sure is to have the dentist show you the cavity either on the xray or show you the hole by placing his explorer instrument in the opening and showing you how it sticks there.

Okay. I'll do that . Thank you for your help. On a side note. I understand your point about amalgam fillings being stronger but I have done my research on them,and I'm not sure if you are aware that they leak mercury which is a very difficult metal to detox. I am an lpn and I work with Alzheimer's patients. I would rather loose all my teeth than have alzheimers. Studies have been done to show a accumilation of mercury in the brain of those with alzheimers. Alot of people are getting them removed these days. Anyhow I just figured I would share this food for thought, and again thank you for your time.
I am ready to pay you, if you send the link.

Just click on accept or leave a rating. That is all that you need to do.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)