Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have an older crown and the facing of the tooth has

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older crown and the facing of the tooth has chipped my primary dentist referred me for an implant but why cant this crown just simply be replaced it is the tooth to the right of my two front teeth

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

No swelling no pain.....just cosmetic

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dental
1/9/2018
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 3 months ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine

To answer your question in an informed way, I will need access to some diagnostic information. Would you be able to obtain an x-ray of the referenced tooth and upload it here? This will allow me to provide you an accurate and relevant answer.

They did not provide an xray with the referral......I'm assuming they pass it on to the specialist themselves....I really don't want to go the implant route but they did not provide me with any options. The facing of the tooth is missing a layer off of it.....

As I said, I cannot know the reasons why your dentist recommended the removal of the tooth rather than a replacement crown. This decision would normally be made based on the condition of the tooth, and the condition cannot be inferred without an x-ray. I invite you to request an x-ray from your dentist so it can be uploaded here; this question will remain open until the x-ray is received.

ok thank you
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist