Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I need to get the tooth pulled next week but also a couple…

Customer Question
I need to get the...
I need to get the tooth pulled next week but also a couple of years ago I had issues with getting sores on the sides of my tongue that formed almost like little cuts and she saw one and when I get the tooth pulled she wants the specialist to look at my tongue, is that cancerous??!!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dental
1/7/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 6 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

It is most likely not cancer. If the sores appear and then disappear,they are most likely not anything cancerous. You are also not in the age group that we see many oral cancers. The area that you are seeing looks more like some chronic inflammation from chronic trauma like your tongue rubbing against a sharp spot on a tooth.

Your dentist is just being very cautious. The rule is if the lesion stays for two weeks and has not resolved,it is a good idea to get it evaluated.

Did you see the area that I'm talking about?

I am looking at the small whitish round area forward of your finger. The rest of the tongue looks normal.

Does that look like it's oral cancer?

No it does not but again if it stays longer than two weeks unchanged ,it should be evaluated. It can be from trauma from chronic irritation.

I am afraid to go to get the tooth pulled because I'm afraid he will look at this and tell me it's oral cancer!!

You have more to loose by keeping an infected tooth in your mouth than worrying about whether this is oral cancer or not. I have been in practice for 37 years and after seeing tens of thousands of patients over this time period,I have only seen two oral cancers. The likelihood of this being cancer is about as probable as you getting hit by lightning tomorrow.Even it it were cancer,do you think that avoiding treatment will better your chances of survival.? Early detection saves people lives.

That would be like an ostrich sticking his head in the sand to avoid being eaten by a predator.Your fear should not steer you from doing the right thing.

The two cases that you have seen, did they look like what I have? And if not, have you ever seen patients with what I have?

They looked nothing like what you have.Yours looks more like it is due to chronic irritation.

Don't forget that you have an OCD that causes you to over worry about anything that you decide to obsess on.

Please leave a rating if you have no further questions. We get no credit for our time without one . Thanks Try not to let your OCD get in the way of proper treatment.

Have you seen patients that have what I have?

I cannot confirm what you have without seeing a biopsy but I have had patients with similar type of lesions. We are not gong to play that game all night like you have done in the past. The answer to your question has been given. I cannot give you any more specific information based on just looking at this picture.

Dentist: Sean C, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 6 months ago
Sean C
Sean C, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

I can give you no more information than the previous expert.

But as I believe you are looking for more validation that you have nothing to worry about, I would 100 percent agree with Dr Katz

Your tongue lesion, looks absolutely nothing like oral cancer, your Dentist is being careful, I feel terrible each time I tell people to wait for a couple weeks and return to see me and let me look at things like that. I have seen things that look "worse" by far than that and they were not oral cancer, but we must take care and have your best interest in mind.

I have seen things similar too what you have and again agree with the previous expert, that it looks more like chronic irritation where your tongue is rubbing on something or perhaps you are biting it.

You now have two different dentists with different experiences telling you that you have almost nothing to worry about. However, nothing in life can be 100 percent certain, so it the spot changes in the next couple of weeks it would be worth being biopsied, if it does not than I would not personally biopsy it, even if just remained the same. As we would expect a cancerous lesion to grow in that time. Again:

1. you are at a low risk because of age and health factors.

2. the spot does not appear to be oral cancer.

If what Dr katz said is true about the OCD, I know that it will be hard for you to stop ruminating on this and thinking about it over and over, but, you must accept our answer and continue to live life, if you spend your life worrying about something several doctors advised not to worry about, then you will not have much of a life. I say this as a means to try to help you, and I hope that you see that. Take your mind off of this, try to avoid asking other experts, do not google images or diseases, I promise you and I am sure that you are aware, it will not allay any of your fears but only strengthen them. You will be ok, but, go back to the dentist, take care of what needs to be taken care of with your tooth and have the spot double checked. Good luck though you do not need it

What do you mean by I do not need it?
I believe that you do not need luck. Because I do not believe there is anything wrong with your tongue. That’s all.