Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I am a 35 year old woman, very light smoker (about 3 to 5…

Customer Question
Hello,I am a 35 year...
Hello,I am a 35 year old woman, very light smoker (about 3 to 5 per week and only for the past 5 months - bad habit I know). I am prone to have canker sores often and for the most part I do not think twice about them when I get them.For the moment I have a canker sore-like lesion on the bot***** *****p inner mouth lining. I don't really recall when it appeared but I think it's about from 7 to 10 days. It started as a normal canker sore, but it's still there and what's bizarre, is that sometimes it raises into a small bump (I can feel it with my tongue and also see it). Its like a bump with a depression in the center. No white parts really, the center is slightly more red than the rest of the lining but not by much. It does not hurt much when I touch it with my tongue or teeth, like a canker sore that is almost healed. It's only 1 or 2mm diameter in size. It may sound silly but I am scared this could be a cancerous lesion, or a wart? Or am I "freaking" out for nothing and checking Google too much?!I wish I could send you a photo, but right now the bump is not there (the small lesion remains and I can feel it with my tongue, but the bump comes and goes - usually appears at night or I notice it in the morning). So right now it looks/feel like a cancer sore, but why the raised on and off bump, and the fact that it's still there after 10 days?Going to the dentist for a cleaning on the 10th.Thank you for hopefully calming my nerves!Cheers.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
1/2/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

This does not sound anything like cancer. It sounds as if you have a mucocele,which is a small traumatized minor salivary gland on the lip and on occasion will fill with saliva and then drain. There are minor salivary glands all over the lip and you may have just bit your lip at some time and injured one of these glands. Normally,they will disappear or heal on their own but if they don't,and it bothers you,they are easily lasered off in a couple of minutes.

Canker sores themselves are very common and usually will appear during times of stress,when you are not getting enough sleep.Kenalog in Orabase is a prescription ointment that will take away the pain and aid healing for the canker sores.

If you have no further questions,can you please leave a rating? We get no credit for our time without one . Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)