Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Can drinking too much tea stain teeth or damage my teeth?

Customer Question
When I drink cold water...
Can drinking too much tea stain teeth or damage my teeth? When I drink cold water my teeth hurt and I drink lots of hot tea.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dental
12/27/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 month ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! Tea will definitely cause superficial staining of the teeth. This will usually polish off or bleach away pretty easily.

As far as damaging the teeth, if you are drinking very acidic tea, you could be causing some enamel erosion or thinning, which would make them more sensitive. Hot tea can also cause microscopic cracks in the enamel if it is drunk right after eating or drinking something cold. It's not the hot tea itself that damages the enamel, but the temperature difference between very cold and very hot that is dangerous.

Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)