Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have an infection in my lower rear tooth. My dentist gave…

Customer Question
I have an infection...

I have an infection in my lower rear tooth. My dentist gave me antibiotics on Friday so I’ve just taken 3 days worth and the pain feels like it’s getting worse. What should I do ?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Had it for five days now. Ibuprofen gives a very short release

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dental
12/24/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, sorry to hear that the antibiotics have not yet had any effect. Do you have any swelling? What is your dentist going to do for you to save the tooth? Thanks.
You should also be using warm salt water rinses:
Salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face. You can also take 2 Tylenol along with 2 Advil every 4-6 hours. This is much more effective than alone. What antibiotic are you taking?
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor