Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a very small black spot insidey gum over the right…

Customer Question
I have a very...

I have a very small black spot insidey gum over the right top canine. I just had two cavity filling 3 weeks ago and one is still very sensitive to everything I put iny mo

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?

I just had two fillings three weeks ago and spot was not there

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I have a blister that was on the roof of my mouth and comes and goes same spot

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

Swelling in the back of my mouth last week on the right side bottom back of my mouth the gum over where my wisdom teeth were.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 5 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello! I would be happy to help you figure out what is going on with the spot on your gums. Do you think you could take a photo of the area you are concerned about so that I can see?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

I sent you a picture

Thank you for the photo! The gums are very inflamed between your lateral incisor and canine. Have they looked and felt that way since the fillings were done 3 weeks ago?

Which tooth is still very sensitive?

Dr. Lara

Not really I haven't noticed. The tooth that so sensitive is one that was worked on in the back left

Okay, so the are of swelling on your gums in the photo is not next to a new filling?

It is normal to have sensitivity on a tooth after a filling is done for a few weeks. It should subside over time. However, you want to make sure that your bite feels normal. If the bite feels unusual, that can cause the sensitivity to last longer than normal.

Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

I understand but don't know why the black spot appeared this morning
I understand but don't know why the black spot appeared this morning.

The dark spot is most likely an area of bleeding under the surface. Have you been doing anything different to this area? Flossing really aggressively? Using a toothpick or other tool to try to clean something?

Because of the inflammation, you should definitely return to your dentist to have them figure out the cause. It may be something as simple as a piece of plaque or tartar buildup under the gums, which would require a dental cleaning. Then the inflammation and the dark spot will go away.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)