Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Do you see anything on the side of my tongue that is a

Customer Question
problem?...
Do you see anything on the side of my tongue that is a problem?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dental
12/17/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, thanks for the pic but it is blurred. Do you think you could take another for me?

Do you have any symptoms?

here you go. I took the top tongue picture just so you know that side picture made my tongue look white when it's in fact not.

Thanks for sharp pics!! Good job!!

There is really nothing on the top or the sides of your tongue that looks abnormal.

You have normal papillae which can become discolored depending on any irritants or foods that you eat. But it all looks normal.

Are you symptomatic in any way?

No I just noticed earlier what seemed like blisters and or dead skin. I'm just concerned about oral thrush cause i've had IV solumedrol and antibiotics within the last 2 weeks.

Antibiotics can readily make your tongue appear whitish in color. If you had thrush you would also have pain and bleeding if you tried to scrape your tongue. A dry mouth can also give the appearance of thrush but your tongue really shows no signs of thrush at all.

If you are at all concerned that you may have thrush you can always a tongue cleaner and start any mouthwash that contains Chlorhexidine Gluconate. But I do not believe you need to that now!!

Blisters and dead skin can easily occur from a dry mouth after heavy antibiotics. I did not see any blisters on your tongue either on top or the sides. If you get a larger accumulation of heavy white film or coating then you can try the mouth rinses and scraping but for now I would do nothing. Does this all make sense to you?

Are you still there?

I am, I do have a big problem with dry mouth and have a dry mouth rinse that doesn't work. Doesn't oral thrush affect mostly people with cancer or HIV?

No, thrush can happen to anyone when the oral flora changes and becomes infected. Usually it is do to poor oral hygiene. Thrush is a fungus and when the flora of the mouth is not healthy the immune system becomes compromised and then infections begin and can result in thrush. Candida albicans is responsible for thrush and it resides in the mouth but is under control when you are clean and health. Every bacteria that can cause problems resides in the mouth and is non pathogenic as long as the immune system is strong and healthy and by maintaining good oral hygiene you can avoid thrush. Fortunately for you no signs of thrush are present!! :):)

FYI:

Biotene is the most prescribed medication for this problem and it is available over the counter at any drugstore. This is the website for it: http://www.biotene.com/

Oracoat: XYLIMELTS is also an excellent choice: http://www.oracoat.com

Other OTC saliva substitutes include Moi-Stir, Optimoist, Mouthkote and Salivart.

Also, prescription medications like Salagen and Evoxac help produce more saliva to combat the dryness. Basic Bites Soft Chews at basic bites.com is another new product for dry mouth.

You can also try using sugar free gums and candies to help with the dryness.

Try to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water each day to stay properly hydrated.

Hope this helps!! :)

I have tried Biotene and it does not work for me unfortunately. Is there any other mouth rinses that work?

You can try some of the ones I listed above and keep trying until you find one that works for you. Drinking plenty of water daily is the best solution but when you take meds that changes everything and substitutes are needed.

So, try some of the above and hopefully you will be lucky and find one that will work well for you!!

If you need more information please ask.

When you get a chance please rate our interaction so that I get credit for responding.

Thanks and have a great evening!! :):)

Hi, are you still there?

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor