Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had a tooth extracted eight hours ago and still bleeding.

Customer Question
I had a tooth...

I had a tooth extracted eight hours ago and still bleeding

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

EIGHT HOURS AGO

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

I had an upper molar extracted at 12:30 EST. Have been changing gauze every 20-30 mins. Tried teabag fr 3o mins. Still bleeding

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dental
12/16/2017
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 2 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

Hello! Thank you for asking your question, I'm reviewing it now and will reply back to you in a few moments.

So sorry you are having trouble with the bleeding...

You are being smart using the tea bag (has tannic acid in it/a coagulant).

We all bleed an average amount, or greater or less amount, and (sadly) you are bleeding a greater amount.

This is what I would do: Continue using the tea bag/s as they will help some for sure.

Use pressure as you can to compress the blood flow (Generally your Dentist gave you some 2x2 inch gauze strips which are quite ideal for this. If you run out, more can be gotten from your local pharmacy, Walmart, or even clean old cloths can be cut up to work well also.

Perhaps use ice cubes/cool liquids. This can prove somewhat more messy, perhaps carrying a bucket around as the water drips, but cold water/fluids can tend to make the bleeding stop as well. Figure out how best you might employ the ice cubes or cold effect.

And time. I know, you already know this, but you will not be bleeding as much by tomorrow as today, and hopefully less in a couple hours than now likely.

Lastly, HANG IN THERE! I know it sounds somewhat silly, but "this too will pass".

All the very best to you!

Dr. Rampton

How ami supposed to sleep tonight?

I'm not going to lie to you. It's (sadly so) going to be a rough/long night. If you clotting were occurring more rapidly, things would be easier. But, that clotting that is needed is sounding like it's going to be more of a process, as opposed to any simple on/off type of thing.

____________________

Do try your best to implement the above. Time is the best healer, but the other items will help. And in a few hours (more or less), you WILL be beyond this phase. Again, so sorry about the difficult time you are understandably having.

I indeed hope you are able to sleep, and doing so right now hopefully!

No, I am not sleeping. Dentists lie. They tell you bleeding will stop in two hours when they know it can take 24 hours, during which time you must stay awake and can't eat. They do not prepare you in advance. I'm exhausted and hungry and hate dentists.

Well, I am sorry you've had this experience, and I hope today you have less bleeding.

I can't speak for your Dentist, as I don't know your Dentist.

But I do want you to know that the typical or expected result, is just that, "the expected result". But to say everyone is exactly the 100% same is incorrect. For example, to say humans all die at 75 years of age. Even if 75 were an average expected age, still some wouldn't die till they were 100 years of age, and some die at birth. The bleeding which you are experiencing is NOT typical as well. It's very much on the long end of the spectrum. In practicing Dentistry for over 30 years now, I've personally never had someone bleed as much as you.

____________________

Bot***** *****ne: I merely hope you are better today than yesterday. And I certainly do wish you the very best - really!

*Note: I will never lie to you.

Dr. Rampton

Has your bleeding subsided somewhat now?

Has the bleeding lessened? I hope so.

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist