Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Second opinion] HiJA: How can I help? I've been having pain…

Customer Question
Second opinion] HiJA: Hi. How...
Second opinion] HiJA: Hi. How can I help?Customer: I've been having pain near my bottom left molars. When I bite down on something its a shooting pain. A couple days ago the pain would come as a throbbing/shooting pain, and stay for 5-10 seconds, and then keep reoccurring every few minutesJA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?Customer: For the past month the pain was 1-2 times a week for a split secondJA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?Customer: I've felt a pins and needles sensation on the left side of my face, that lasts about 5 seconds, and happens once or twice a week
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dental
12/15/2017
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 2 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

Hello! Thank you for asking your question, I'm reviewing it now and will reply back to you in a few moments.

Hello, sorry to hear of the problem...

Are you having this problem on both sides of your lower jaw?

Also, what is your age?

Have you had wisdom teeth removed?

Thanks,

Dr. Rampton

24 and I still have my wisdom teeth
The problem is on the bottom left side

It may well be your wisdom tooth on the left side. I see your x-rays (thx), and they look good, no cavities seen and you've taken good care of your teeth!

Has your Dentist looked at the teeth lately? My first thought though, is to look closely at the wisdom tooth. And, if the lower left is removed, you'd also need to have the (easy to remove) upper left tooth extracted. I'd suggest you do both at the time you take on, should you decide to do so, to also have the upper one out. Does this make sense?

Any thoughts?

Sorry got caught up in something. My dentist did look at it and suggested a wisdom tooth extraction, but the oral surgeon didnt think the issue was a wisdom tooth.Another dentist suggested that it might a bite issue because I do tend to clench my teeth.
just confused about whats going on.. Im taking pain meds right now. There is no sharp pain but there is a constant ache

If you can grab a toothpick. Take it and put it on top of the wisdom tooth hurting, and bite together with the top and bottom teeth hitting. Compare how that feels, to another separate area. If the first area hurt, you're likely going to need the wisdom removed, and I agree that it may well be a wisdom / and also due to a bite problem of the wisdom tooth...

doesnt feel much different
but when I eat, I can feel the pain

I was hoping you'd feel some difference.

I will say this: Your x-rays/teeth look VERY GOOD!

I am NOT certain why you are having the problem. And I've got to run for a couple hours right now (sorry).

But, if I were a betting person - I'd speculate highly that the best thing would be to get wisdoms removed, as they will likely be the cause, but also, you'll eventually need them out anyway. While seeing your Dentist get his or her opinions.

I sincerely ***** ***** best for you.

*If you have further concern/s - please don't hesitate and I'll get back to you later - OK?

Thanks!

Dr. Rampton

thanks!

Well, I hope you can, when plausible, get to see your Dentist of choice for a closer examination, perhaps get your wisdoms removed, and get everything back to the normal expeditiously!

*Please do rate my answer, if you would please. Thanks!

Feel free to ask any further follow up concerns - should you have such - alright?

Hi Dr. Rampton. I’ve tried taking ibuprofen since the last time we spoke and tried a salt water rinse but there is sharp pain whenever I try to eat. The pain is in the first molar on the bottom left.. Is there anything else I can do to ease the pain?
I haven't been able to eat anything.. I tried soft foods like a banana but any pressure to the tooth and its a shooting pain

I am so sorry. As I look at the first molar, there "may" be resemblance of a "possible" small cavity. But, even if so, it's hard to say with confidence.

I'd get to your Dentist of choice as soon as possible, have the bite checked, etc...

Don't take more than 800mg Ibuprofen every 8 hours. It can sreak havoc if you overdose on over the counter drugs. If the ice helps - keep that up.

Hang tough. I'm truly sorry it's bothering you. The very best news is "this too will pass". So sorry I can't do more...

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist