Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have lost part of a front tooth back to the gum. What are…

Customer Question
I have lost part...

I have lost part of a front tooth back to the gum. What are the chances of gum disease?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

I visited the dentist after that part of the tooth became loose [chewing bone at time]. The bonding and part of the tooth have since come away.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have lost no other teeth [other than wisdom teeth extractions].

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dental
12/13/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello! It is likely that you will develop gingivitis around the area of the broken tooth because the jagged edges and crevices exposed by the break will collect bacteria. Make sure to keep it as clean as you can until you can get in to see a dentist.

If you are not already, add a mouthwash to your daily oral hygiene regimen.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

No. Mouthwash etc are routine.
I wanted to know approximate probability of getting disease.
Question not answered.

Gum disease (gingivitis) is likely around a broken tooth than around one that is intact. Do you have plans to see your dentist and find a solution to the broken tooth?

Dr. Lara

we pay you $41 to be told to re-visit the dentist?
Well, the 24 hours has well and truly expired...
Dentist: Beth Dorian, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 months ago
Beth Dorian
Beth Dorian, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello, I get the frustration! Let me try. :) Dr. Dorian here...

You are describing two COMPLETELY different things. Gum disease has NOTHING to do with a broken tooth. Gum disease destroys the bone and gums around the tooth. Sure, the bacteria that cause gum disease happen to live in between the teeth and the gums. So, the presence of teeth gives a nice home for these gum/bone destroying bacteria. But, other than that, think of gum disease as damaging the structures that hold the tooth in place, and nothing to do with the teeth themselves. That said, when the teeth are removed, gum disease is eradicated, because the bacteria have no place to live anymore.

If a tooth broke due to a weakened bonded area, that's just an entirely unrelated thing. YES, it's true that a tooth could completely come out as a result of gum disease, but that's very different than a tooth breaking. Tooth loss due to gum disease would be the ENTIRE tooth falling out (root and ALL), not breaking the crown portion of the tooth. You could have the healthiest gums in the world with a broken tooth. Not everyone is even susceptible to gum disease. You have to have certain species of bacteria in your dental plaque to be susceptible.

Dr. Coseo is correct when she states that a broken tooth could allow more of these nasty bacteria to be harbored in that location (it's less cleanse-able with a broken tooth). As a result the gums could become inflamed, and eventually result in gum disease. But that's a very long term thing.

To REALLY understand gum disease, I created a video that describes it. If you have the patience to watch it, I think you'll understand better. I hope it helps. Link below...

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cDln06QIOw

Beth Dorian
Beth Dorian