Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I'm currently dealing (since Saturday) with really bad,

Customer Question
Hi there - i'm...

Hi there - i'm currently dealing (since Saturday) with really bad, radiating tooth pain on upper / left back teeth and now it's moved to the bottom / left back teeth parallel or directly underneath the upper ones. Hot and cold sensitivity, particularly with hot, throbbing pain, comes and goes, hurts when press down on tooth, then it goes away.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I saw a dentist who referred me to a root specialist / surgeon - dentist thinks it may be nerve damage / death but so far nothing conclusive. No only thing that happened friday night before saturday is bad teeth grinding / clenching

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Nothing really - i take a motrin to get rid of pain but right now for instance it's not helping

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Do you have any swelling?

Pain to heat is a sign of a dying tooth.When this happens,fluid will accumulate at the tip of the tooth and push it slightly out of the socket so that it will prematurely hit the opposing tooth causing pain there also. It will be important that you get started on an antibiotic right away.

Not a ton, maybe a little on left cheek side. I had my upper left wisdom tooth extracted, otherwise all the wisdom teeth are in (doctor doesn't want to take them out ) xrays didn't show anything. So annoying. Why would it hurt on top then bottom and so suddenly? No signs of cavities etc - been keeping up on cleaning and nothing has come up

Do you grind your teeth? Do you have any teeth missing besides your wisdom teeth that have not been replaced?

If there was nothing seen on the X-ray and there are no cavities,I am unsure why your dentist would refer you to a specialist. Swelling is a sign of infection but there would most likely be some evidence of a decayed tooth associated with the swelling. Is the dentist that you are going to experienced or is he right out of school?

Hi sorry had a meeting - no other missing teeth, i do clench and grind so I'm thinking that's what's going on here. Dentist is very good but thinks consult with specialist will rule out nerve damage. Can you get this much localized pain from grinding? Like a bad night of clenching and grinding?

You can certainly cause toothache like pain on the upper and lower at the same time from clenching and grinding. Your dentist should have checked your bite before suggesting that you see a specialist. He sounds inexperienced.

If it is from clenching,which usually comes with more stress,this will subside. Ibuprofen 600 mg every 4 hours will help a lot.

This type of pain comes from the ligament around the tooth and not the tooth itself.

The other thing that can help is a night guard . You can pick one up at the pharmacy for about $30 to $40 or have the dentist make a custom one for $300 to $400.If you have been under a lot of stress lately and your X-rays were clear, your pain is most likely from the periodontal ligament around the tooth. A quick bite adjustment will give you immediate relief and it takes a few seconds. Go to a dentist that has been practicing for at least ten years.

I am going to sign off for the night. If you have any further questions,I will respond in the morning.

If you have no further questions,could you please leave a rating. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Please leave a rating.