Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

The dentist today said I have leaking crowns. She said that…

The dentist today said I...
The dentist today said I have leaking crowns. She said that I had metal crowns that are old and crowns usually last about 15 years. She suggested replacing them now with non-metallic crowns. They are indeed about 20 years old. She said they are doing a kind of corroding and this corrosion is causing gum irritation. I just wanted to confirm this is true. I recently changed dentists and this was the first time seeing her. She is accepting my Deltacare "insurance". My previous dentist said nothing about these leaking crowns.I also have some receding gums and she suggested a deep cleaning. As a therapy after the deep cleaning, she sold me Oracare, a activated oral cleaner rinse for $40, which has an activated ingredient of chlorine dioxide. Also sold
me some Fluoridex toothpaste , for $20, which has active ingredients of 1.1% of sodium chloride and 5% potassium nitrate.
I was wondering if this expensive rinse and toothpaste is worth the extra cost or if there is suitable over the counter substitutes. 8 months ago my pervious dentist said nothing about my gums.
12/7/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, you ask some very good questions and I would too!

I personally have metal crowns that were placed in my mouth in 1963 and they are still excellent and there are no open margins which are what dentists look for because that is where decay usually starts. What kind of metal crowns do you have?

Most people develop gum related problems because of a lack of proper home care which should include brushing, flossing and using a water pic daily!! Doing this every day along with regular hygiene visits is what will maintain your gingival health for your entire life.

I am 76 and have been doing this since 1962 and have no gum disease or bone loss!!

The items she sold you were a great marketing tool for her because there are many great products on the market for far less cost and buying them from the dentist is a bit unusual. There are many great choices of fluoride toothpastes recommended by the ADA that work great and can be used and will save you money in the long run.

I would suggest that before you agree to any more work that you might consider getting a second opinion to see if you really do need new crowns and if in fact, you do need the gum work suggested by the dentist.

Does this make sense to you?

I do not know what type of metal crowns that I have. I brush one a day with an electric tooth brush and floss 3 times a week. She suggest brushing two times a day and flossing every day. I admit I should be flossing more. I don't know what margins are. Could you explain?I do have cavities under the newer crowns on the right side. The previous dentist mentioned that. But the previous dentist said I needed a new crown on that tooth. The new dentist said I just needed fillings in the gap between the crown and the gum. Ah, perhaps that is what you mean by margin. Is it? So I don't know which dentist is correct.I don't remember if she said that there were cavities on the older left side metal crown teeth that she recommended. I don't think there was.
Thanks for your opinion.
Also, are there some types of metal crowns that leak or corrode and affect gums?

Hi, sorry I had computer issues but everything is ok now.

I am writing a response now!!

Brushing twice a day is really all you need to do as long as you brush, floss and use a water pic before going to sleep at night.

If any food or debris is left in overnight it will ferment and cause both decay and gum problems. The water pic will flush out all the debris that you loosened by flossing thus leaving nothing between your teeth.

Margins are the edges of the crowns that meet the tooth and that is where decay can and usually does begin. You can avoid this from happening by doing what I suggested above, daily!

If you do have cavities under the crowns then having a new crown made is what is needed in order to remove the decay and establish a newly sealed margin around the tooth. There are times that you can just repair the cavities under crowns but not if the decay is between the teeth. If the decay is on the outer or inner surface of the tooth then you may be able to save the crown with just a filling. Crowns do not corrode which is why I am suspect as to whether you really do have an issue. Which is why I suggested a second opinion. It never hurts to be sure if you have any hesitation about what you were told!!

Since you do not know which dentist is correct perhaps you can get the X-rays and upload it here and I can comment further or get another opinion and then decide what you wish to do. What do you think???

Hi, do you need more information?

Root Canal Doctor
Thank you for the offer to review the xrays. I appreciate it. I will give it a try. In the mean time I will rate you so you get paid and will catch up with you later. I don't know if the origin of training of the dentist makes a difference. She is from India and has about 6 years of experience. I think there is not a problem with the metal crown.
I also have a missing tooth, one molar from the back on the right side, that was removed. I have been letting it go for now, but she thinks that it should get a implant because it may cause problem on the left side because I use the left mostly for chewing. What is your opinion on that?

Please do upload the X-rays if you get them.

Six years of experience is not very much experience! Just a thought.

If when you smile the space occupied by the extracted tooth is not apparent then there is really no need to rush to replace it if at all.

You can function quite well without the tooth. If the adjacent teeth have not started to move, which I doubt at your age, then there is no reason to replace the missing tooth. If a lower tooth is beginning to super-erupt and it causes a change in your bite then a replacement would be indicated. So if nothing has changed and your smile is not showing the space I would do nothing unless you just do not like the empty space in your mouth.

An implant is one way to replace the tooth and it is also a huge money maker for the dentist as well so you need to decide if you really wish to replace the tooth or just live without it. I am conservative and I like for patients to understand whether the need for replacement is cosmetic or for function or for vanity. Then you can make an informed decision. After over 50 years of dentistry, I realize that not all the spaces in our mouth MUST be filled in order for us to function without any adverse effects! :):)

The origin of the dentist does make a difference as does the perceived experience as well.

Thanks for the rating and I know you will think it through and come to the right conclusion for you!!

Have a great evening. :):)

Here are my xrays. Let me know what you think.

Hi, thanks for the Xrays!!

I will start with what I see from top right to top left and then below from bottom right to bottom left.

#3 Pocket on distal and possible decay on distal ay margin.

#11 Impacted canine-no treatment needed

#18 Mesial margin open

#19 Measial and Distal margins open

If I were seeing you I would then need to probe the open margins to determine if they are indeed open and decaying.

All pockets need to be addressed because if they continue to deepen you will lose bone and develop loose teeth over time.

Please do see another dentist for a second opinion before proceeding with any treatment.

Compare what I have written with what is found and then ask questions.

Good luck and have a great holiday season!! :):)

Oops, I forgot to include the following :

# 20 Distal margin open

Pocket between #24 and #25

#30 Looks ok. Distal margin needs to be probed to be sure it is ok.

That's all that I see!! :):)

Thanks so much for the information. It really helps. I learned what all the terms meant from the internet and I have a good understanding of the terms and numbers. Apparently the crown leakage (on 18 19 I think) is an unknown, which may be just pocket irritation. The dentist was going to do fillings for 3B , 4B, 5B. and your estimate was just 3 for possible margin decay. So I need a second estimate. I guess I need the deep cleaning that she suggested. Have a great holiday.

You are very welcome!!

Getting a second opinion is a smart move on your part!!

Have a great Holiday Season!!! :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor