Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I recently broke a tooth and I think there is exposed nerve.

Customer Question
I recently broke a...

I recently broke a tooth and I think there is exposed nerve. I had a problem with it a few months ago but the pain went away on its own. Last night something I ate agitated it again and now I'm in severe pain. I don't have any dental insurance but I really don't ever want to go through this again. My tooth is cracked in half vertically. Is my tooth beyond fixing and in need of removal?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I had the pain in September/October for a week or two, but it stopped after about a week or two of rinsing it with Listerine and Peroxide. Last night I ate chicken for dinner and it's been hurting since.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I had a bracket on that tooth from when I had braces.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
12/6/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

If the tooth is cracked vertical through the root,there is no chance to save this tooth and it will need to be extracted. Dental insurance is really a rip off for most people these days. It has only limited coverage and for taking care of this tooth,the expenses are not high.A simple extraction runs less than $150. These type of situations do not get better on their own.If you are in pain now,you can expect more pain and swelling as time goes on.It would be in your best interest to get to a dentist ASAP and have this tooth extracted before the swelling starts.If you have a picture of the area to upload,I could give you a better idea of the prognosis.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)