Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I think I may have an infection following my wisdom tooth…

Customer Question
I think I may have...
I think I may have an infection following my wisdom tooth removal surgery. All four were impacted and removed and seem to be healing fine (no redness or swelling and the gums are healing over well). My oral surgeon said said the same thing. I finished my penicillin and still pain on the left side of my jaw that radiates up into my ear. I am unable to go back to my oral surgeon for another three days but the pain is getting worse and acetaminophen is no longer a relief. I have Cefdinir and was hoping that would work until I can get another prescription in three days
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
12/2/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! I’m sorry to hear you’re having so much pain! Yes, taking the cefdinir could help if you have an infection. Make sure to take it as directed on the prescription bottle.

For the pain, I would switch to 800mg Ibuprofen (Advil). You can take four over-the-counter tablets, which are 200mg each. That dosage is okay to take every 6-8hours as needed for pain, and it is a little stronger than acetaminophen.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

thank you. Does the information I gave sound like an infection to you? I was worried because I used a straw about a week ago and caused one of the sites to bleed and I spit up a blood clot but the pain is not coming from that area. It feels more like the jaw and muscle on the left side of my mouth

It doesn’t sound like there is definitely an infec tion, since you don’t have any swelling or pus. Have you taken your temperature? If you have a fever, then you should definitely take the antibiotic. The ibuprofen will make a difference for your pain level, whether you or not have an infection.

Dr. Lara