Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I live in the middle east, Qatar. I am a cell biologist. I…

Customer Question
I live in the...

I live in the middle east, Qatar. I am a cell biologist. I work at a Children's hospital and lead research. My wife has swelling in her mouth. I had her swish with clorhexadine after flossing. The pain is constant, not throbbing. The gums are not spongy.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

She just told me about this today. I am going to take her to see a physician - the dentist is closed today. I will ask for augmentin. There were no mouth injuries, nor is there a surface ulcer on her gums. - no visible lesion in her mouth.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Perfect health, just on thyroxine- that is not relvant. I gave her a couple of tylenol for the pain. I have stonger pain meds, but she does not need them. will he advise on the best antibiotic to use? will he advise on the best course of action?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dental
In the answer please include (i) your expert guidance about how to best manage this situation, a diagnosis and treatment strategy; (ii) your assessment of whether it is a good idea to take antibiotics before seeing a dentist tomorrow; (iii) what is the best antibiotic? Should we consider augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulinic acid); I am concerned that if this is an infection - it could spread to the brain and cause meningitis (am I unnecessarily worrying?). A colleague at a local university just died of meningitis at age 52.
The dentist is closed today; we can see my primary care physician (probably an internist).
I just learned today that my wife is in pain - she feels feverish, but is cool to the touch (no thermometer). I thought the chlorhexidine rinse after using a water pic and flossing couldn't hurt. Is antibiotics a good idea? the region she point sto as painful is in the triangle emanating from her nose down to her mouth. This concerns me.
I have cipro in my house. I am not a physician, but am a cella and developmental biologist from Yale and Rockefeller University.
I was once the CEO of a company focus on developing prescription medications for the mouth. I am neither a physician or a dentist.
This is my first time - using just answer. I hope the info you provide is way better than googling. I signed up to get expert answers and guidance. I also am a Venture Capitalist - the companies I co-founded finance d and led have a value of over $18 billion. I just sole a company (MDVN) to Pfizer for $14 billion.
Please make your answering this question a priority.... I will share my experience about "just answer" by social media and at a talk I will be giving. Please be prompt.
I did not realize that what I told you will be in the public domain. Tsk. Tsk. I prefer than what I told you about my case be kept anonymous. I said too much. I gave too much specification about me and my background. I do not want people in your community to know who I am... I feel like I am a fool. I so not want you to post your answer in any public forum - if this includes any info I told you about myself. This needs to be de-identified.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I signed up for premium service - do I get an answer within 30 minutes? If delayed, is my money refunded?
Please respond on this site and via email; Currently, I no longer wish to talk with the answer provider.
your marketing methods over promise and under deliver.Louis
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Standby

If you can be more specific about the swelling ,I can help you. Where exactly is the swelling? Does she have any teeth that are bothering her? How long has the swelling been there? Is it on both sides or isolated to one area?

I am not getting any response so I will give you some information. Penicillin vk 500 mg is the drug of choice for oral infections but amoxicillin 800 mg every 8 hours is also a good choice. Augmentin can also be substituted as well as Clindamycin 300 mg every 6 hours. Cipro is not as effective for oral infections. Tooth any mouth infections rarely if ever spread to the brain. Before that would ever happen,there would be substantial swelling in the submandibular glands below the jaw and systemic symptoms with a high fever. This usually takes some time .You need not worry about the infection going to the brain or your wife getting meningitis.

Please understand that it is early in the morning on the East Coast of the US and the few experts in this category may be sleeping. IN your case ,there was so much dialogue to read that I needed to take some time to read everything that you have posted. I would be glad to help you if you can give me some specifics or upload a picture of the area in question.

Are you still with me?

Is your wife ok? Is there something else that I can help you with?