Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My husband got 2 teeth replaced 20 years ago in Brazil. They…

Customer Question
My husband got 2 teeth...
My husband got 2 teeth replaced 20 years ago in Brazil. They are loose. However, not sure what we need to look for. He has no teeth in that spot and 2 front fake teeth that fell out and they cemented it back in, but is now loose. We need to get this taken care of asap, but not sure what we should be looking for. Please help guide us. Thanks
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
11/29/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, there! Could you take a photo of the teeth to send to me so that i can see what you are talking abut? How long ago were the fake teeth recemented?
Sincerely,
Dr. Lara
okay...They were recemented about 8 months ago.

So are the fake teeth just loose but still attached to something underneath? Or is he able to completely remove them?

Dr. Lara

They are loose now, but was completely removed months ago and dentist cemented it until cal be replaced and said would only be good for a few days. We saved up some money. but don't knoe what to do or where to go. He needs a lot of other work too, so don't want to do anything that will be a waste. This is priority right now

Okay, thank you for that info. You certainly do not want to try to remove them with force. There is the chance you could break the teeth underneath. Make sure that he uses a good mouthrinse multiple times a day to keep the area as clean as possible.

As far as the recementation goes, it is not unusual for the subsequent cementations to be less successful. The cement is strongest on its very first bond with the tooth. Once that initial bond has been broken, it is weaker each time it is recemented.

Are you currently under the care of a dentist? If so, you should make an appointment to see him for another recementation and to discuss your treatment options. I expect they will recommend that the fake teeth be remade (basically start from scratch).

If you don't currently have a dentist, now is the time to find one so you can proceed with this.

Does that answer your question?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

The weird thing is that there is no teeth under, so not sure what he needs. I don't know what is attached to. .We just moved and trying to find a dentist, but not sure what to look for

Okay. Could you send me a photo of these teeth that you are talking about so I can get an idea of what is going on?

In looking for a new dentist, ask your neighbors about their experience with local dentists. If you're in an area with dental specialists like oral surgeons or periodontists, you can call their offices to ask which general dentists they would recommend.

Does that help?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)