Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a question regarding wisdom tooth extraction,

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding wisdom tooth extraction, cavitation, and tonsilitis

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?

Yes, I have gum pain where my bottom and topwisdom teeth were extracted.. The pain moves depending on the day and sometimes halfway through the day to the completely other side of the jaw. I do have discomfort in the jaw as well. I got my wisdom teeth out December 2014. In June 2015 they found an infection in the lower site of extraction. Since then, I had on and off burning in the gums, and in May 2016 the burning/jaw pain/neck stiffness became chronic. I am scheduled for a tonsillectomy due to infected tonsils. I am trying to figure out if the wisdom teeth surgery caused the tonsils to be inflamed or if I've had tonislitis this whole time and it is causing the burning in the gums.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

That I will sometime have a white dot on the lower wisdom tooth extraction site. Left and right side. Today, I have a red dot on the lower right extraction site. I got a panoramic X-ray, CT scan of sinuses, and head MRI, but nothing was found. It has to be either chronic infection or the tonsillitis causing all of this? :(

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
11/27/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! I'm so sorry to hear you're having all these issues with wisdom teeth and tonsils. The short answer to your question is yes, they can be related. Oral infections (like the one you had with your wisdom teeth) can cause tonsillitis. Typically, it would not be the other way around, though. Could you send me a photo of the area on your wisdom tooth extraction site?

I'm suspicious of a more chronic problem involving your nerves, which would account for the neck and jaw pain and burning in your gums.

Dr. Lara

I have been told this could all be nerve related. However, my tonsils do not look well. I'm curious if other people out there have had similar situations with burning 1-2 years after wisdom tooth extraction and it being linked to tonsillitis or infection.I have been told it could be burning mouth syndrome, but most have a cause. I'm hoping to find the site of infection. Do you think it could be a cavitation causing the tonsils to be inflamed? Or the tonsils doing all of the this? (I did have recurrent mono this past spring)Thanks!Attached are 3 images. the one with the red dot is from today.

Thank you for those great pictures! I see the dot you are talking about, and it appears to be a surface lesion, possibly from a small injury like hitting the area with a sharp tortilla chip or even a toothbrush.

Mono can definitely cause oral and gum infections. Were you having any of these burning symptoms before the mono? Mono will definitely cause the tonsillitis. With the absence of any findings on your x-ray, CT and MRI, I think you will get some relief from the tonsillectomy, but I'm still suspicious of a nerve problem.

I would recommend requesting a referral to a neurologist if your symptoms do not resolve after the tonsillectomy (and the reasonable healing period).

Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

I was not having burning symptoms until the summer of 2015.In the summer of 2015, before they found the infection in the wisdom tooth extraction, I came down with a very bad virus (couldn't walk, talk, headaches, sore throat). They didn't diagnose this as mono. This is when I began to notice the burning in the gums. However, the burning pain was off and on until May 2016, then it became chronic burning and jaw pain. Then in March 2017 I was tested positive for a recurrent mono. So.. we do not know when the burning started.Is it possible the tonsils are pressing on a nerve causing this moving burning pain?
I'm becoming frustrated because I feel as if the answer is right in front of the doctors, but since it's been going on too long we get bogged down in the details of it all.My thought after all of the testing I have been through:1. It could be a cavitation deep in the extraction sites. (thoughts on this and how to look for it? I know they are tricky to find)
2. Mono or a virus is causing the burning in the mouth and tonsils to flare.
3. Tonsils are causing the moving burning pain in the back gum extraction sites.
4. There is still an infection in the site of wisdom tooth extraction causing the tonsils to flare.Thoughts on these options and do you see any more?

That's a great question, and I think it may be a little outside my realm of expertise. It may be possible. I do know that nerves can be pinched between the cervical vertebrae or in the jaw joint, which can lead to these types of pain. Because of the variety of your symptoms, meaning it is difficult to attribute them all to the same thing, I think a neurological cause is a likely possibility.

It also could be something related to an autoimmune disorder. Your history of a bad viral infection, mono, tonsillitis, and multiple wisdom teeth extractions could indicate a problem with the immune system as well.

Dr. Lara

Okay, on those options:

1) If there were a cavitation deep in the extraction sites, that should be visible on all of the imaging you have had, so it seems like they have ruled out this possibility.

2) Mono or a virus could definitely cause a burning sensation and the inflammation of your tonsils. My concern with this possibility is that the virus or mono should be resolved by now.

3) Tonsils causing burning pain - possible but unlikely

4) Infection in wisdom teeth sites - should also appear on imaging like option #1.

I understand your frustration with doctors, and I can see with the variety of your symptoms how they may get sidetracked by one or another issue. My advice would be to see a neurologist (for possible nerve impingement) or an orofacial pain expert (more difficult to find, but would be able to isolate the cause from more experience with rare pain types). The other possibility is having your medical doctor test for any autoimmune diseases. They could refer you to a rheumatologist or other specialist for testing.

Does that help at all?

Dr. Lara

I have already been tested for autoimmune diseases multiple times. These all came back negative..

Okay, great! In that case, I think the next path to explore would be neurological. Can you have your doctor give you a referral?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)