Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have had a rear lower molar extraction and developed an…

Customer Question
Hi I have had...

Hi I have had a rear lower molar extraction and developed an infection. I returned to the dentist on day 7. The site has been cleaned and a gauze inserted. I have been purscribed amoxicillin for 7 days. The gauze remains in the socket, will the gauze Come away / dissolve or should this be removed and if so when? The pain has subsided but not 100%

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It’s better

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

No nothing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
11/26/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

If the gauze dressing is not resorbable ,the dressing needs to be removed 48 yours after it was placed. If it was in fact gauze,and it has been in for 48 hours. It needs to be removed. Leaving it there will just delay healing.

If you are unsure about what was placed in the socket,you should contact your dentist and find out.Some dressings will dissolve by themselves but those dressings look like a more fibrous and stringy material.

Hello thank you for the reply,The gauze used does not feel like a fiburus type possibly a little harder to the touch. It was soaked in some sort of clove oil paste which offered immediate comfort on contact. I have been taking the amoxicillin for around 48 hrs, what is the healing time on such an infection?Regards Leigh

The infection should be gone in 6 or 7 days. The antibiotic takes about 48 hours before you begin to see the results. You need to get the dressing out of there. The socket will heal by itself without it.

If you have no further questions,please leave a rating. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Please leave a rating . Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)